"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chicken Liver Pate

This is my recipe for Chicken Liver Pate. It is a creamy smooth pate rich in flavor, with a wonderful balance of herbs and spices. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1 ½ lb chicken livers
2 sticks butter
1 tbs. Morten’s Quick Cure
1 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 onion, diced
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 cups water

Place the water into a sauce pan along with the Quick Cure and bring to a boil. Add the chicken livers and onions, and cook until the livers are just barely done. Over cooking will make them mealy rather than smooth and creamy.
Drain the pan and place the ingredients into your blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until silky smooth. Pour into a covered container and chill in the fridge for two hours. This is great on crackers, or toast points.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Head Chef

Just out of curiosity, why are you using Quick Cure? Kind of seems like overkill since ground chicken livers/pate is inherently tender and you aren't "curing" it per se since the livers are being cooked immediately and pate is generally consumed quickly.

We like Emeril's Country Pate with veal, ham, pork and chicken livers plus port, brandy and assorted spices. A bit more trouble (actually a good bit more work) and expense but it is very, very, very good. My BIL ate nearly half of the recipe by himself once. He couldn't stop eating it.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

I will give this one a try, I think I will pulse instead of blend to retain a little texture and maybe add a splash of cognac. I can never resist changing things a little!

I use the curing salt because it helps to retain a rosy color. I believe you could use regular salt with no problem.

I make this pork liver pate in the winter.

Country Pâté at Home
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have never heard about boiling the livers first. Only sautéing them first.
I am asking as I have never made this, but want to.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have never heard about boiling the livers first. Only sautéing them first.
I am asking as I have never made this, but want to.
The recipe I use mixes all the raw meats with spices and it sits overnight in fridge (curing, short but still curing), then it all gets ground, mixed up and baked. Jacques' recipe uses them raw as well.

Country Pate Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
Old 06-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
The recipe I use mixes all the raw meats with spices and it sits overnight in fridge (curing, short but still curing), then it all gets ground, mixed up and baked. Jacques' recipe uses them raw as well.

By either boiling, or sauteing in butter to pre-cook the liver, I can get it to just the right texture and not overcook them. This is then blended with the other ingredients to make the pate very smooth and soft, spreadable if you will.

I have made pate's that were made by placing layers of raw meat strips, with seasonings, garlic, and oniln into buttered loaf pans, then baking until done. This makes a pate that is very similar to home made lunch meats, which is a completely different kind of pate'. It just depends on the end result I'm trying to achieve.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...I have made pate's that were made by placing layers of raw meat strips, with seasonings, garlic, and oniln into buttered loaf pans, then baking until done. This makes a pate that is very similar to home made lunch meats, which is a completely different kind of pate'. It just depends on the end result I'm trying to achieve.

Sounds like you are both describing a terrine: Terrine (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds like you are both describing a terrine: Terrine (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pate is defined as a seasoned, ground animal protein and binding agent that may also include nuts and-or veges. The type of pate that Aunt Bea and I referenced is pate en terrine. The type of pate Chief references is a pate mousse preparation, which may or may not contain dairy. There is also a pate en croute.

Terrines are not necessarily pates.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Pate is defined as a seasoned, ground animal protein and binding agent that may also include nuts and-or veges. The type of pate that Aunt Bea and I referenced is pate en terrine. The type of pate Chief references is a pate mousse preparation, which may or may not contain dairy. There is also a pate en croute.

Terrines are not necessarily pates.
... but pate's can be terrines.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... but pate's can be terrines.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
And I mentioned that when I noted pate in terrine. Why the reiteration and not an answer to my original ?about the Quick Cure since it seems to be superfluous in this preparation and an unnecessary use of extra chemicals?

Tags
butter, chicken, chicken liver, chicken or turkey liver, recipe, sage, salt

Chicken Liver Pate This is my recipe for Chicken Liver Pate. It is a creamy smooth pate rich in flavor, with a wonderful balance of herbs and spices. Enjoy. Ingredients: 1 ½ lb chicken livers 2 sticks butter 1 tbs. Morten’s Quick Cure 1 tsp. sugar ¼ tsp. garlic powder 1 onion, diced 1/2 tsp. ground sage 1/8 tsp. powdered ginger 1/4 tsp. white pepper 2 cups water Place the water into a sauce pan along with the Quick Cure and bring to a boil. Add the chicken livers and onions, and cook until the livers are just barely done. Over cooking will make them mealy rather than smooth and creamy. Drain the pan and place the ingredients into your blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until silky smooth. Pour into a covered container and chill in the fridge for two hours. This is great on crackers, or toast points. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews