"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
One of my relatives made chicken livers over rice. Loved the dish, but was squeamish about making it myself.

Re Caruso's dish - love it. Have had it years ago at a restaurant. Very similar to this Spaghetti alla Caruso with red wine, San Marzanos & mushrooms.

Spaghetti Alla Caruso
Cerise,
thank you I made a copy of the recipe. It has my mouth watering just reading it. I plan to make some for myself next Sunday DH who whon't indulge will get his plain. The rest of the gang will get what ever Thanks again I can hardly wait.
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Many come from years of taking a recipe and adding or taking away things. Getting recipes from friends, the newspaper and then removing something I don't care for.Add something I love just use my mind and see what I get I love to fool with ideas and then try them out on the family who can really be a help. That is mostly how I get recipes I'm not much for taking a cookbook and just following the recipe word for word that gets' old pretty fast. So it's ideas I get here, DC is my second home and all the members share ideas with us so that is a plus. And that is all I can say.
kades

i would give most anything to have your ability of combining ingredients and flavors in your mind, kades. sadly, i am usually strictly bound to a recipe and unable to make any but the most minor adjustments or substitutions. i have no idea how two or three spices will taste when mixed with other things except for the ones that are commonly known as being complementary. so anyway, kades, thank you so much for generously sharing so many of your sensational recipes with us here at dc. they are truly a treasure that so many of us have the privledge and pleasure of enjoying with our families and friends.
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Vit, whether you realize it, you already have the skills. You already know that carrots, celery, and onions are the base for flavor in many dishes. If there is someone in your home that swears they hate one of them, then dice them real small and put them in your FP and make them even smaller. Then saute them in butter or other fat before adding to you dish. They will disappear.

Tomato paste is a great flavor enhancer. Just a teaspoon mixed in with your veggies while they are sauteing, is all it needs. There are things you already have in your kitchen that allow you to use your imagination. Stock, Gravy Master, S&P, the regular herbs, rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc. Making rice? Toss in some soup base or bullion cubes in the water to flavor it.

The next time you go shopping, do it when you have a lot of time on you hands to do it. And when you are alone. Take your time going up and down the aisles. Stop and look at the spice section. Think of all the dishes you could add them to. If your supermarket has those little recipe cards in the produce section, take one of each. You can get some great ideas from them. If the recipe says to add the escarole and you don't like it, then add spinach instead.

Most important, if you make a dish with your imagination, and have deviated from a recipe, then you family doesn't like it, then learn from it. It is not a disaster. It is a lesson learned instead. Good luck on your next adventure in the kitchen.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i would give most anything to have your ability of combining ingredients and flavors in your mind, kades. sadly, i am usually strictly bound to a recipe and unable to make any but the most minor adjustments or substitutions. i have no idea how two or three spices will taste when mixed with other things except for the ones that are commonly known as being complementary. so anyway, kades, thank you so much for generously sharing so many of your sensational recipes with us here at dc. they are truly a treasure that so many of us have the privledge and pleasure of enjoying with our families and friends.
Vit you can do this just as I do. It's a matter of just looking through your grocery store and looking at each and every aisle. take your time and pick and choose I love the produce dept and any farmers market. Now of course I have a s-i-l who puts in anything I want and helps me tend it. I love cubenelle sweet peppers Heirloom tomatoes, Meyer lemons thorns and all, we have 8 acers so fruit trees are big here, love herbs, chives,tarragon, oregano,basil, am looking forward to lettuce,radish, Hey here's one for you, PF put up a recipe for radishes, I tried it and my whole family fell in love. I just washed the radishes, cut them in half and sauted them in butter added salt and pepper and then aaaaaaaahad to use both elbows to get family to back offf. So don't say I can't I now you can!!!kades Dare YA
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Vit you can do this just as I do. It's a matter of just looking through your grocery store and looking at each and every aisle. take your time and pick and choose I love the produce dept and any farmers market. Now of course I have a s-i-l who puts in anything I want and helps me tend it. I love cubenelle sweet peppers Heirloom tomatoes, Meyer lemons thorns and all, we have 8 acers so fruit trees are big here, love herbs, chives,tarragon, oregano,basil, am looking forward to lettuce,radish, Hey here's one for you, PF put up a recipe for radishes, I tried it and my whole family fell in love. I just washed the radishes, cut them in half and sauted them in butter added salt and pepper and then aaaaaaaahad to use both elbows to get family to back offf. So don't say I can't I now you can!!!kades Dare YA
I buy the radishes that still have the leaves on them. Have you ever wash, and then sauted the leaves? Delish!.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I buy the radishes that still have the leaves on them. Have you ever wash, and then sauted the leaves? Delish!.
NO I keep forgetting, but next time I will. Thanks
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
Sounds Great!

I love liver. This is something I will make first opportunity my better half leaves for a day. I am forbidden to cook liver in the house and throwing away the pan used is likely if I get caught. hehe
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I love liver. This is something I will make first opportunity my better half leaves for a day. I am forbidden to cook liver in the house and throwing away the pan used is likely if I get caught. hehe

i too love liver, chef maloney, and what's more, i just love your sort of subterfuge....:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I love liver. This is something I will make first opportunity my better half leaves for a day. I am forbidden to cook liver in the house and throwing away the pan used is likely if I get caught. hehe
At my house it's Brussels sprouts that I am forbidden to cook. Stirling is going off to Calgary for a few days, probably in November. I'm looking forward to my sprouts.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
This sounds soooo good! Not something I'll be able to eat a lot of but I'm sure a little bit just once or twice won't get me into too much trouble lol!
I love livers!
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.