"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I don't know as if real garlic is a good substitute for garlic powder. The 2 really don't taste anything alike.

I think I might add celery salt and add less seasoned salt. That would give the whole dish a new dimension of flavor. Instead of the ground red pepper, perhaps add some ground chipotle pepper? As one who's never had chicken oscar I don't know the flavor of this other than what I'm imagining it to be so that may or may not work.

One thing I would DEFINITELY do though is substitute the cream cheese for either marscapone or creme fraiche.

As someone else said--fresh asparagus. Thin is always better than the thick ones.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

If I were you, I would pour the sauce over the chicken, and bake it covered until chicken is fork tender.
For the sauce, I'd use 2 tbls butter, 2tbls flour, 1 cup milk, one cup chicken broth, and seasonings of your choice. You might consider adding 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, which, when combined with the taste of the cream cheese filling inside the chicken, will give the dish a distant similarity to an Alfredo.
Serve on a bed of your long grain/wild rice, to which I would add strips of sauteed sweet red peppers. I thinking keeping the rice separate & fluffy will add a better combination of texture to your dish. Garnish with something pretty, like sauteed whole mushrooms, an asparagus spear, red pepper strip, and bits of baby greens.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

All the suggestions look like Oscar winners! Thank you. I remember a time when this dish was often on the menu, & pricy I might add. Now I rarely see it except on catering menus.

Constance, liked your tips re 'dressing' the dish up, and serving the rice on the side. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
If I were you, I would pour the sauce over the chicken, and bake it covered until chicken is fork tender.
For the sauce, I'd use 2 tbls butter, 2tbls flour, 1 cup milk, one cup chicken broth, and seasonings of your choice. You might consider adding 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, which, when combined with the taste of the cream cheese filling inside the chicken, will give the dish a distant similarity to an Alfredo.
Serve on a bed of your long grain/wild rice, to which I would add strips of sauteed sweet red peppers. I thinking keeping the rice separate & fluffy will add a better combination of texture to your dish. Garnish with something pretty, like sauteed whole mushrooms, an asparagus spear, red pepper strip, and bits of baby greens.
Another thought, is serving the oscar chicken with fettuccine and incorporating the fettuccine sauce with the chicken. I came across a recipe I think might work. Will look it over and get back. Hope people will give it a try. I've enjoyed the dish at a restaurant long ago and want to put together a special dinner when the occasion arises, with the chicken oscar as the main attraction. Some recipes I've seen call for coating the chicken in crumbs. If you like chicken and seafood, give it a try, and let us know what you come up with.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Another thought, is serving the oscar chicken with fettuccine and incorporating the fettuccine sauce with the chicken. I came across a recipe I think might work. Will look it over and get back. Hope people will give it a try. I've enjoyed the dish at a restaurant long ago and want to put together a special dinner when the occasion arises, with the chicken oscar as the main attraction. Some recipes I've seen call for coating the chicken in crumbs. If you like chicken and seafood, give it a try, and let us know what you come up with.
I'll go for noodles any time!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I'll go for noodles any time!
Same here, Constance.

I thought this might be a good side using the sauce for the chicken, and fettuccine in place of the farfalle (w/o the bread crumbs): See whatcha think.

FARFALLE WITH ASPARAGUS, ROASTED SHALLOTS AND BLUE CHEESE

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/103260
Old 03-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I use a roasted red pepper hollandaise for my Oscar dishes.
1/2 cup butter
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 roasted red pepper, pureed
dash cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons hot water

Heat butter in a heavy saucepan until hot and foamy, but not browned. In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg yolks with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Gradually beat in butter, water,then red pepper puree. Return mixture to saucepan and beat over very low heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Serve immediately or let stand over warm water for up to 30 minutes.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
I use a roasted red pepper hollandaise for my Oscar dishes.
1/2 cup butter
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 roasted red pepper, pureed
dash cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons hot water

Heat butter in a heavy saucepan until hot and foamy, but not browned. In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg yolks with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Gradually beat in butter, water,then red pepper puree. Return mixture to saucepan and beat over very low heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Serve immediately or let stand over warm water for up to 30 minutes.
Looks de-lish, Erik. Do you serve it with veal or chicken? TIA

Keep 'em coming. (I'm getting sooo hungry.)
Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Veal,Chicken,Filet...use it all.
Great on Eggs Benedict, also!!!

Tags
None