"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar

Help me turn this into an Award-winning recipe? (Couldn't help myself )

This recipe looks pretty good, but I would like some ideas on how to make it better. i.e. Would like to use fresh asparagus, any ideas for a better sauce with wine perhaps (rather than soup), incorporate fresh garlic, and pardon a silly question - but what is seasoned salt? TIA

Chicken Oscar

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash ground red pepper (optional)
1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen asparagus spears, thawed and chopped - Prefer fresh
1/2 of a 5-1/2- to 6-1/2-ounce can crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Seasoned salt
Garlic powder - Prefer fresh garlic
1 6-1/4- to 6-3/4-ounce package long-grain-and-wild-rice mix
1 10-3/4-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup - Better sauce idea?
3/4 cup milk

Place each chicken breast half, boned side up, between 2 pieces of clear plastic wrap. Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to form a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap; set chicken aside.

In a mixer bowl, beat together until light and fluffy the cream cheese, the 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, the 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, and the red pepper, if you like. Gently fold in the chopped asparagus and the crabmeat.

Divide the filling evenly among the chicken breasts, placing it in the center of each breast. Fold in the bottom and sides of each breast. Roll up breasts, jelly-roll style, and secure them with wooden toothpicks. Place the rolls in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

Pour melted butter over chicken. Sprinkle with additional seasoned salt and garlic powder. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.

Meanwhile, cook rice mix according to package directions. In a small saucepan, combine the condensed soup, and the milk; heat through. Serve the baked chicken over the rice mixture. Spoon soup mixture over all.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Fresh asparagus, steamed lightly, would be good, especially if you can find those little pencil-thin spears.

Here's a 'lite' lemon sauce that I think would work:

Lite Lemon Sauce:

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
dash salt
dash white pepper
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp grated lemon peel

Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and lemon peel... makes 1 cup.

Edited to add - why not try a boursin cheese or other herby-cheese spread instead of just plain cream cheese?

Old 03-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Fresh asparagus, steamed lightly, would be good, especially if you can find those little pencil-thin spears.

Here's a 'lite' lemon sauce that I think would work:

Lite Lemon Sauce:

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
dash salt
dash white pepper
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp grated lemon peel

Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and lemon peel... makes 1 cup.

Edited to add - why not try a boursin cheese or other herby-cheese spread instead of just plain cream cheese?
Perfect! Thank you! Shall I steam the asparagus prior to rollng it up in the chicken? You read my mind re the pencil-thin asparagus. Could I roll the raw asparagus up inside, and have the edges stick out? I think it would be a nicer presentation? TIA
Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Fresh asparagus
Real Garlic
White Sauce in place of canned soup.

The cream of chicken soup is just a chicken flavored white sauce. That's easy enough to make.

Seasoned salt is salt with added flavors such as garlic, onion, etc.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Mish, I'd steam 'em a little first; and they'd look pretty sticking out on the ends!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Mish, I'd steam 'em a little first; and they'd look pretty sticking out on the ends!
Thank you Marm. Have to have the asparagus peeking out. It's a pretty simple, probably good recipe, as it stands. I prefer not to used canned ingredients in a recipe like this.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
Master Chef

RE, the stuffing. I bet it will need more salt, so make sure you taste it befoere you use it. I'd also add some chopped scallion or chives or shallots, ground black pepper and a dash of hot sauce instead of the ground red pepper.

With crabmeat stuffing, I'd probably make the sauce with clam juice to bring out the seafood flavor. And, maybe, the asparagus cooking water (ala Julia Child).

I'd also probably serve it with risotto and not a rice mix.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
Everymom

Hey mish, is there any chance of you getting fresh crab to use? IMHO, there is just no comparison between the canned stuff and fresh. (DUH! of course there isn't) If you can keep yourself from eating it all before you put it in the recipe I bet that would improve it a LOT.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Sous Chef

For the sauce, how about a simple bechamel instead?

Tags
None