"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
Chicken Parm Burger

I saw this on The Chew yesterday, made it for supper, it was great.
Chicken Parm Burger The Chew

__________________

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Ground chicken isn't readily available here, so I would just grill up some breasts or thighs, skip the binder and go from there.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
I just put the boneless chix breasts in my food processorand ground them up
Most grocery store or meat market will take the chicken brst and ground them for you if you ask.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I just put the boneless chix breasts in my food processorand ground them up
Most grocery store or meat market will take the chicken brst and ground them for you if you ask.
Ground chicken and ground turkey are hit and miss around here as well. I was thinking about using the meat grinder to grind chicken thigh meat and maybe 1/2 or 1 breast (depending on the amount of thigh meat and how large the breast is). Did you add any extra fat? I assume these were skinless breasts?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
I followed the recipe exact -no added fat, but adding thigh would make them more moist. They came out good. A meat grinder will work also. and yes they were skinless
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Recipe sounds good!

I've ground boneless chicken parts in my food processor no problem, didn't even need any special cutting blade or attachment. Just chunk your chicken and then put it in the food processor and whack it a bit until it looks right. Instant ground chicken. (Almost instant.)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Recipe sounds good!

I've ground boneless chicken parts in my food processor no problem, didn't even need any special cutting blade or attachment. Just chunk your chicken and then put it in the food processor and whack it a bit until it looks right. Instant ground chicken. (Almost instant.)
Good to know. I do keep the meat grinder in the basement, and the FP in the kitchen upstairs. I would be tempted to use the meat grinder just because I have it (Cuisinart). I am guessing run it through using the coarse blade and then the medium blade to get it to look like "store bought" ground chicken...and, because I'd be starting with bone-in, skin-on, I'd probably toss in the fat rather than render it.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I think it can be a lot easier than that. I used just one blade, don't even recall if I have coarse and medium and fine, probably not. I don't see any reason it has to look exactly like supermarket ground chicken. Getting the right looseness and particle size is IMO good enough.

I've done this to beef, pork and other meats too. The nice thing about "grinding" your own is that you get to decide yourself how much fat to leave in or take out.

For this recipe I recommend you take out the big obvious chunks of fat but you don't need to be excessive about it. The recipe adds oil to the ground chicken anyway. On the other hand it obviously isn't a low fat recipe with the Parmesan-Panko coating, fried in oil and mozzarella over the top.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think it can be a lot easier than that. I used just one blade, don't even recall if I have coarse and medium and fine, probably not. I don't see any reason it has to look exactly like supermarket ground chicken. Getting the right looseness and particle size is IMO good enough.

I've done this to beef, pork and other meats too. The nice thing about "grinding" your own is that you get to decide yourself how much fat to leave in or take out.

For this recipe I recommend you take out the big obvious chunks of fat but you don't need to be excessive about it. The recipe adds oil to the ground chicken anyway. On the other hand it obviously isn't a low fat recipe with the Parmesan-Panko coating, fried in oil and mozzarella over the top.
But I bet one could bake it in the oven and still get a nice result. I do that with eggplant parm.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
No bet. Obviously ground chicken burgers can be baked. They would be different though, without the oily greasy coating, and the crumbly coating would bake up different. Note that oily greasy is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be a good thing particularly when it comes to burgers. The fat in your mouth changes the whole taste of it.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.