"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 01-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Chicken pie

I like my chicken pie, but my husbands says it's not "creamy", which is true, I dont add cream, just a bit of flour to thicken up the stock. Anyone have a tried and true recipe favorite for this?

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
I posted this a while ago in this same thread, but since my computer skills are not "up" to copying it, will labouriously re-type the concept...

From "Emeril", several years back....(tweaked, of course!)

About a half cup of butter/margerine, in a saucepan, melted...

Add a cup (each) of diced onion, chopped celery and finely sliced green or red sweet bell pepper...

Mix, stirring over medium low heat...

Add about a half cup of flour, and emulsify thoroughly, mixing until its bubbling (turn up the heat a twitch!), then add a couple cups of chicken or vegetable stock, mix and heat until even...and bubbling...

Add a couple to four cups cooked and chopped chicken or turkey (dark meat is best, but while meat will work fine, too!), and two medium red potato's, peeled and diced, cook some more on medium heat...

A few carrots, peeled, chopped or sliced, according to your taste...

Last addition, about a cup of fresh or frozen tiny green peas...

Fold it all over into a Dutch Oven, mix very well, cover with a pirced pie crust, and bake at 325 for 60-90 minutes, resting 30 minutes on removal...

You could use up your leftover gravies, making this..

Should be "creamy" enough...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Cook
I have found that adding 1 cup of cottage cheese to the chicken mixture is a wonderful addition. It makes it creamy and adds body, but without the 'floury' taste of a roux or added calories from cream.
Be determined to live life with flair and laughter!
kansasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Thank you both very much! :)
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen
Mom started making this about 20 years ago. The recipe has barely evolved from it's original form. In any sense, it is a family favorite here!

Chicken Pie

1 8oz. block cream cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
3 chopped green onions
4 Tbsp. milk
Salt/pepper to taste
3-4 chicken breasts, boiled & diced
1/2 pkg. (from a 2lb. bag) frozen potato cubes (also called hash browns)
1/2 pkg. frozen petite peas (opt)
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, melt cream cheese & butter together in microwave. Stir. Add salt, pepper, onions & milk. Stir till smooth. Add chicken, potatoes & peas. (yes, while they are frozen)
Mix well. Pour into bottom crust and top with top crust. Crimp edges & vent with knife. Bake 35-45 min. till crust is golden.

This can be served alone, or topped with any of the following favorites:
-sour cream
-green tabasco
...and the list goes on!

Also, filling can be made in bulk & frozen in freezer bags too. Just defrost & spoon into a pie shell for a quick dinner.

*You can also make this with leftover turkey.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Cook
Thanks kansasgirl and jkath, I've often wondered about the addition of cottage cheese/cream cheese to the pie filling. My main concern was whether it could be frozen with these ingredients included. I thought it may separate and become floury/watery. Most of my 'pie baking days' are in bulk quantities, and the freezing quality is important for me. I'll certainly include these recipies in my files, thanks. :)

aussie girl is offline   Reply With Quote