"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Chicken Pot Pie Recipe!?

Hey everyone!

My husband has requested that i try making Chicken Pot Pie, but i have no idea how! Does anyone here have a good recipe i could use?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'll try my best to explain how I make mine - if you need any clarification feel free to ask:

About 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken per pie - (I like a combination of light and dark but it doesn't matter)

I try to get 2 - 2 1/2 cups of the following vegetables. I simmer broccoli, carrots, leeks, celery, peas until tender but still firm in salted, boiling water. I try to chop everything pretty much the same size as the peas. If I use frozen peas I add those last after they are thawed (in microwave) as I only want to heat them. I think one time I even used some cauliflower.

I melt roughly 1/4 cup flour and a 1/4 cup butter to make a roux and cook for about 3 - 5 minutes on medium low or so. Add roughly 3 cups of milk or 1/2 and half and dissolve about 2 tsp or so of chicken base (you can use bullion cubes too if you want) Taste to see if it tastes like "chicken" and add a bit more if needed. Don't add more salt yet because the next ingredient will add some salt.

Stir in some Parmesan cheese - the kind that is grated in the tubs (not the green can) or grate your own - I'm guessing I use maybe 1 cup?

Taste at this point to make sure you have added enough salt and there is enough poultry flavor from the chicken base.

Pour in vegetables and then pour roux over vegetables. I use a double crust for this - MUCH better and keeps it very moist. Make a couple slits in top and place some foil on lower rack to catch overflows

Note that I usually make two of these and freeze one. It's a lot of chopping, dicing, and slicing and it freezes well.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until upper crust browns. You may need to foil the edges if they start to overcook.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

This is mine
Chicken Pot Pie
It's somewhat labor intensive but I am always very happy with the results. I think there's a photo on the last page.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Kitchenelf,
Can this mixture be used for chicken and biscuits, too?
And why not use the Kraft parmesan? It's the only kind I have on hand at the moment. Doesn't it melt?

TIA
Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Kitchenelf,
Can this mixture be used for chicken and biscuits, too?
And why not use the Kraft parmesan? It's the only kind I have on hand at the moment. Doesn't it melt?

TIA

Cheese loses flavor after it's been grated and sitting around, exposed to air. The Kraft stuff in the can really isn't anything at all like real parmesan cheese. Many people claim it tastes like sawdust. I think it tastes somewhat "cheesy," but not very good. I'd leave it out. Pick up some Parmigiano Romano and taste the big difference.

K-elf ... at what point do you incorporate the chicken?

I basically make mine like you do, using frozen veggies that I don't bother cooking, as they thaw in the hot sauce. I mix everything up in a big bowl and then pour into the pie shell. I'm one of those weird people that like chicken pot pies with both top and bottom crusts. I usually make my own and use crushed rosemary inthe crust.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Cheese loses flavor after it's been grated and sitting around, exposed to air. The Kraft stuff in the can really isn't anything at all like real parmesan cheese. Many people claim it tastes like sawdust. I think it tastes somewhat "cheesy," but not very good. I'd leave it out. Pick up some Parmigiano Romano and taste the big difference.
Thanks. I've been meaning to upgrade my parmesan to regiano (sp?), romano or whatever is always being mentioned on those cooking shows.
I'll bet they won't last ten years on my refrigerator door though
Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks. I've been meaning to upgrade my parmesan to regiano (sp?), romano or whatever is always being mentioned on those cooking shows.
I'll bet they won't last ten years on my refrigerator door though

Time to turn the brain on. I did mean reggiano. Romono is a similar but difft. cheese altogether. Both good though!

My dogs like the green can!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if your dogs like the green can, it can't be all bad..... right?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Well if your dogs like the green can, it can't be all bad..... right?

They like dog food too.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They like dog food too.
and other things i cant mention here

Tags
None