Chicken question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I got stuff to make chicken and dumplings before thinking about how many days are in the weekend and already had my slowcooker scheduled on Saturday and Sunday with other meals:LOL:
Can I boil the chicken, in a pot, and debone, stick in fridge and reheat tomorrow and it be okay?
What do I do with the chicken stock as it's apart of the dinner?

Yes, you can. But don't boil it. You should never boil chicken (or protein in general) as boiling makes the protein seize up and the chicken will be tough and rubbery. Just poach it by simmering it really gently, with little tiny bubbles only.

When it's done, remove the chicken from the liquid and set it aside. When it's cool enough to work with, debone it and put the chicken in a ziplock or tupperware or other air tight container and put it in the fridge. It'll last for about 3 days or so like that.

I'd degrease the liquid using a gravy separator, or better yet, refrigerate that in a bowl or pan overnight and skim the hard fat off the next day. That'll also keep for 3 days or so.

I usually throw a garlic clove, bay leaf, maybe some onion/celery/carrot into the poaching liquid. remove those before cooling the liquid.

I almost always do the chicken the day before, as it makes it so much easier the next day. I make "rolled" dumplings, which involves a bit of a mess, so it's nice to have that other preparation done, and as was mentioned above, that way you can de-fat the broth.
One little hint: put just a few drops (2-3) of yellow food coloring in your broth. It doesn't hurt you, and makes the broth look so appealing...as if it were full of butter, even though you know it isn't. You wouldn't hesitate to use food coloring in icing...why worry about a few drops in your chicken broth?
Also add a bit of chopped parsley...again, a color thing.
I use broth instead of water in my noodle dough, and the coloring & parsley make them look lucious!

Dina said:
Jennyemma,
For how long would you poach the chicken?

For one boneless breast, maybe 15 min. If I am going to cut up the chicken anyway for whatever I am making, I check for doneness by taking it out after 15 min and cutting it in half.

For dark meat or meat on the bone, somewhat longer.

Yellow broth

Another tip to get a nice yellow color is when poaching the chicken, add a couple of whole onions cut in half. The yellow skins will add the coloring to the broth. Just make certain to remove and discard the onion, peel and all, when the chicken is done.

Back
Top Bottom