"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
I will usually start frying in my cast iron pan then finish in the oven.
That's good advice and what I do.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
There is no way I am going to even try. If I do, I will for sure fry first and then finish in the oven. That is the problem with all this Internet recipe thing. People post whatever garbage they can think of. And that was not even a person, some magazine. Thank G-d for this group.
One of the best chicken cooking techniques I have ever been taught was to pat dry the chicken with paper towels, then dredge in eggwash, then dust in seasoned, or unseasoned flour. Repeat for a thicker coating if desired. Pan fry in hot oil, about 2 inches deep. Fry to light brown color. Flip and lightly brown the other side. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in 350'F oven for 40 minutes. Oh, salt on both sides when the chicken is removed from the oil. no need to salt if you've used seasoned flour.

This chicken is tender, and flavorful, and so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it. My MIL taught my wife to cook chicken this way, and she taught me. I know a bunch of ways to cook chicken, even a few frying/deep frying methods. This method gives me the best fried chicken, especially when I use my favorite seasoned flour recipe. Even with plain flour, lightly salted after frying, this is amazing chicken. Kudos to my MIL, and my DW.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Has anyone here tried this? I've sprinkled seasoned flour on chicken parts and then baked them lots of times. It works fine. It's like Shake 'n Bake, but better.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Has anyone here tried this? I've sprinkled seasoned flour on chicken parts and then baked them lots of times. It works fine. It's like Shake 'n Bake, but better.
Aha, that is what the recipe basically called for. That was my original question. So, how does it work?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Aha, that is what the recipe basically called for. That was my original question. So, how does it work?
  • Pat the chicken pieces dry with a clean cloth or a paper towel. Don't overdo the drying. You want the chicken pieces a bit damp, but not wet.
  • Put the seasoned flour in a bag or in a bowl.
  • Put the chicken pieces in the bag, a few at a time, and shake.
  • Or, put the chicken pieces in the bowl, a few at a time, and toss them with the seasoned flour.
  • Shake off loose flour and put the pieces on the baking sheet.

There won't be a lot of seasoned flour on the chicken.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

thank you, that is similar to the recipe I was wondering about. My concern was what happens to flour when baking.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
thank you, that is similar to the recipe I was wondering about. My concern was what happens to flour when baking.
Some of it falls off. The stuff that sticks got a bit wet from the chicken and cooks nicely. It doesn't actually do much. I don't usually bother anymore. I just put the nekkid chicken pieces in the oven.

I think it's basically just a way to put a bit of seasoning on the chicken and have it spread out more uniformly than putting the seasoning straight on the chicken.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
In the past, I've done the same thing many times. I usually sprayed the pieces with Pam, but it works fine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:

Ive tried that. Kinda like Shake n bake. I dont care for it. I have to fry it for a little bit first then bake it. I feel it makes it more crispy.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Ive tried that. Kinda like Shake n bake. I dont care for it. I have to fry it for a little bit first then bake it. I feel it makes it more crispy.
Definitely. I was responding to replies like "Then it would likely be really gross ...." and "ew".

Not saying that it's a wonderful method, but it's easy and better than Shake 'n Bake.

Tags
chicken, recipe

Chicken recipe? I ran across the chicken recipe where the chicken is dredged in flour and then baked. I was under impression that dredging in flour would be used to fry chicken first and then bake. Any thoughts? Am I wrong? 3 stars 1 reviews