Chicken recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely. I was responding to replies like "Then it would likely be really gross ...." and "ew".

Not saying that it's a wonderful method, but it's easy and better than Shake 'n Bake.

I said it was likely going to be gross....

Shake and Bake contains fat and pretty much every oven fried chicken recipe uses at least a little fat to cook out the flour and carry the flavor.

Sprinkling raw chicken with seasoned flour definitely doesn't allow for more even seasoning than simply carefully seasoning the chicken directly without flour. Mixing the seasoning in the flour will make it less even.

My thought of chicken simply sprinkled with flour without oil is that the flour would get dry and crumbly and wouldn't be a nice savory coating on the meat.

But I'll do a comparison sometime since you vouch for it !!:)

I said it was likely going to be gross....

Shake and Bake contains fat and pretty much every oven fried chicken recipe uses at least a little fat to cook out the flour and carry the flavor.

Sprinkling raw chicken with seasoned flour definitely doesn't allow for more even seasoning than simply carefully seasoning the chicken directly without flour. Mixing the seasoning in the flour will make it less even.

My thought of chicken simply sprinkled with flour without oil is that the flour would get dry and crumbly and wouldn't be a nice savory coating on the meat.

But I'll do a comparison sometime since you vouch for it !!:)
Don't expect much. It's kinda bland. I don't really do it anymore. All I'm "vouching for" is that it isn't gross. :rolleyes: :LOL:

The fat comes out of the chicken pieces as it's baking. The reason I think the seasoning would be more even is that sprinkling seasonings straight on chicken tends to put too much in some places. I would imagine that a seasoned flour that worked well for this would have to have a fairly high seasoning to flour ratio. It would be wasteful. Maybe what I should try is to mix the seasonings together and rub them on the chicken pieces.

I normally use split breasts with the rib bones and skin on, but today stupid Walmart (we are short on options around here) only had boneless, skinless, so that's what I got. I decided to try brining them. I've been intending to try it for some time and just never remember. Going to try this simple recipe for brining and baking: Baked Chicken Breasts. Scroll down for the printable recipe.

I normally use split breasts with the rib bones and skin on, but today stupid Walmart (we are short on options around here) only had boneless, skinless, so that's what I got. I decided to try brining them. I've been intending to try it for some time and just never remember. Going to try this simple recipe for brining and baking: Baked Chicken Breasts. Scroll down for the printable recipe.

3 methods for succulent, wonderfully flavored chicken from boneless/skinless chicken:

1. Slice breast into chicken fingers. Dredge in eggwash and flour. Fry until lightly browned. Remove from hot oil to drain on paper towels. Season with S&P.

2. Make marinade of water,soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and cornstarch. The mixture should be fairly thin. Place chicken cubes, or strips into the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat oil to a temp of 300' or so. Place the chicken into oil and cook until the cornstarch turns opaque. Remove and use in you favorite Asian recipe (this is called velveting).

3. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Put a bit of high temp oil into a carbon-steel wok and get the wok hot. Add the chicken cubes and stir-fry, using just salt for seasoning, or go with Asian seasonings of your own choosing. Remove the chicken when it hust starts browning. You can add such things as bias-sliced celery, bias-sliced celery, snow peas, etc. to your stir-fry.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

3 methods for succulent, wonderfully flavored chicken from boneless/skinless chicken:

1. Slice breast into chicken fingers. Dredge in eggwash and flour. Fry until lightly browned. Remove from hot oil to drain on paper towels. Season with S&P.

2. Make marinade of water,soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and cornstarch. The mixture should be fairly thin. Place chicken cubes, or strips into the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat oil to a temp of 300' or so. Place the chicken into oil and cook until the cornstarch turns opaque. Remove and use in you favorite Asian recipe (this is called velveting).

3. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Put a bit of high temp oil into a carbon-steel wok and get the wok hot. Add the chicken cubes and stir-fry, using just salt for seasoning, or go with Asian seasonings of your own choosing. Remove the chicken when it hust starts browning. You can add such things as bias-sliced celery, bias-sliced celery, snow peas, etc. to your stir-fry.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not a good thing when I'm watching my carb intake. Flour and corstarch on on the no-no list as they are refined carbohydrates. I'll take my few carbs from potatoes and other unrefined sources. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not a good thing when I'm watching my carb intake. Flour and corstarch on on the no-no list as they are refined carbohydrates. I'll take my few carbs from potatoes and other unrefined sources. :rolleyes:

You could try ground almonds instead of flour for the chicken fingers.

Last edited:
You could try ground almonds instead of flour for the chicken fingers.

Here's an idea that just might work. Crush Dried, canned onions in you blender to make a crumb. Add salt, black pepper, thyme, powdered rosemary, sage, and black pepper. Use this as a coating on your chicken. Dip in egg-wash, then you coating mix. Oven bake until the chicken is done. If you don't want to use the onions, use fried pork rinds and pulverize them into a crumb.

Might work, might not. This is just an idea to try. I might have to try one of them for myself. DW would turn her nose up at the idea and tell me I didn't know what I was doing.

Ah well, such is life.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Rick, I used almond flour for my recently made Chicken Piccata, and I liked it better than made with wheat flour. It had more flavor.:yum:

For some reason I cannot start new topic from my phone. Trying to ask a question here instead.

Sweet and sour chicken wannabe.

Somebody decided to make Sweet and sour chicken. What they really made are just pieces of white meat, not sure if they baked, boiled, steamed or G-d knows what. Tastes too. I need to rescue so it can be served for dinner. Thinking sauce of a sort, but not sure what kind. Open for any and all suggestions. People are coming in few hours.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Here you go, Charlie: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken/

Since your chicken is already cooked, you can skip steps 1 and 3 and stir it into the sauce to heat.

You can't create a new recipe thread from your phone, because you have to pick from a drop-down menu and that doesn't work on the mobile app. You can create one in the General Cooking forum, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom