"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Definitely. I was responding to replies like "Then it would likely be really gross ...." and "ew".

Not saying that it's a wonderful method, but it's easy and better than Shake 'n Bake.
I said it was likely going to be gross....

Shake and Bake contains fat and pretty much every oven fried chicken recipe uses at least a little fat to cook out the flour and carry the flavor.

Sprinkling raw chicken with seasoned flour definitely doesn't allow for more even seasoning than simply carefully seasoning the chicken directly without flour. Mixing the seasoning in the flour will make it less even.

My thought of chicken simply sprinkled with flour without oil is that the flour would get dry and crumbly and wouldn't be a nice savory coating on the meat.

But I'll do a comparison sometime since you vouch for it !!
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I said it was likely going to be gross....

Shake and Bake contains fat and pretty much every oven fried chicken recipe uses at least a little fat to cook out the flour and carry the flavor.

Sprinkling raw chicken with seasoned flour definitely doesn't allow for more even seasoning than simply carefully seasoning the chicken directly without flour. Mixing the seasoning in the flour will make it less even.

My thought of chicken simply sprinkled with flour without oil is that the flour would get dry and crumbly and wouldn't be a nice savory coating on the meat.

But I'll do a comparison sometime since you vouch for it !!
Don't expect much. It's kinda bland. I don't really do it anymore. All I'm "vouching for" is that it isn't gross.

The fat comes out of the chicken pieces as it's baking. The reason I think the seasoning would be more even is that sprinkling seasonings straight on chicken tends to put too much in some places. I would imagine that a seasoned flour that worked well for this would have to have a fairly high seasoning to flour ratio. It would be wasteful. Maybe what I should try is to mix the seasonings together and rub them on the chicken pieces.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
I normally use split breasts with the rib bones and skin on, but today stupid Walmart (we are short on options around here) only had boneless, skinless, so that's what I got. I decided to try brining them. I've been intending to try it for some time and just never remember. Going to try this simple recipe for brining and baking: Baked Chicken Breasts. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I normally use split breasts with the rib bones and skin on, but today stupid Walmart (we are short on options around here) only had boneless, skinless, so that's what I got. I decided to try brining them. I've been intending to try it for some time and just never remember. Going to try this simple recipe for brining and baking: Baked Chicken Breasts. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
3 methods for succulent, wonderfully flavored chicken from boneless/skinless chicken:

1. Slice breast into chicken fingers. Dredge in eggwash and flour. Fry until lightly browned. Remove from hot oil to drain on paper towels. Season with S&P.

2. Make marinade of water,soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and cornstarch. The mixture should be fairly thin. Place chicken cubes, or strips into the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat oil to a temp of 300' or so. Place the chicken into oil and cook until the cornstarch turns opaque. Remove and use in you favorite Asian recipe (this is called velveting).

3. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Put a bit of high temp oil into a carbon-steel wok and get the wok hot. Add the chicken cubes and stir-fry, using just salt for seasoning, or go with Asian seasonings of your own choosing. Remove the chicken when it hust starts browning. You can add such things as bias-sliced celery, bias-sliced celery, snow peas, etc. to your stir-fry.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
3 methods for succulent, wonderfully flavored chicken from boneless/skinless chicken:

1. Slice breast into chicken fingers. Dredge in eggwash and flour. Fry until lightly browned. Remove from hot oil to drain on paper towels. Season with S&P.

2. Make marinade of water,soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and cornstarch. The mixture should be fairly thin. Place chicken cubes, or strips into the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat oil to a temp of 300' or so. Place the chicken into oil and cook until the cornstarch turns opaque. Remove and use in you favorite Asian recipe (this is called velveting).

3. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Put a bit of high temp oil into a carbon-steel wok and get the wok hot. Add the chicken cubes and stir-fry, using just salt for seasoning, or go with Asian seasonings of your own choosing. Remove the chicken when it hust starts browning. You can add such things as bias-sliced celery, bias-sliced celery, snow peas, etc. to your stir-fry.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Not a good thing when I'm watching my carb intake. Flour and corstarch on on the no-no list as they are refined carbohydrates. I'll take my few carbs from potatoes and other unrefined sources.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not a good thing when I'm watching my carb intake. Flour and corstarch on on the no-no list as they are refined carbohydrates. I'll take my few carbs from potatoes and other unrefined sources.
You could try ground almonds instead of flour for the chicken fingers.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You could try ground almonds instead of flour for the chicken fingers.
Here's an idea that just might work. Crush Dried, canned onions in you blender to make a crumb. Add salt, black pepper, thyme, powdered rosemary, sage, and black pepper. Use this as a coating on your chicken. Dip in egg-wash, then you coating mix. Oven bake until the chicken is done. If you don't want to use the onions, use fried pork rinds and pulverize them into a crumb.

Might work, might not. This is just an idea to try. I might have to try one of them for myself. DW would turn her nose up at the idea and tell me I didn't know what I was doing.

Ah well, such is life.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vermont
Posts: 5
The chicken Katsu looks quite good!
__________________
ChefKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not a good thing when I'm watching my carb intake. Flour and corstarch on on the no-no list as they are refined carbohydrates. I'll take my few carbs from potatoes and other unrefined sources.
Rick, I used almond flour for my recently made Chicken Piccata, and I liked it better than made with wheat flour. It had more flavor.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,401
For some reason I cannot start new topic from my phone. Trying to ask a question here instead.


Sweet and sour chicken wannabe.


Somebody decided to make Sweet and sour chicken. What they really made are just pieces of white meat, not sure if they baked, boiled, steamed or G-d knows what. Tastes too. I need to rescue so it can be served for dinner. Thinking sauce of a sort, but not sure what kind. Open for any and all suggestions. People are coming in few hours.

Thank you in advance.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, recipe

Chicken recipe? I ran across the chicken recipe where the chicken is dredged in flour and then baked. I was under impression that dredging in flour would be used to fry chicken first and then bake. Any thoughts? Am I wrong? 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.