Chicken recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I ran across the chicken recipe where the chicken is dredged in flour and then baked. I was under impression that dredging in flour would be used to fry chicken first and then bake.
Any thoughts? Am I wrong?

I ran across the chicken recipe where the chicken is dredged in flour and then baked. I was under impression that dredging in flour would be used to fry chicken first and then bake.

No, you're right. I would think it would be fried first. I do have a recipe that is dipped in seasoned flour, then eggs, then panko and baked at a high temperature, but not just flour.

You "oven fry" chicken by coating it and then baking it but it is misted or coated with oil before doing so.

Eww. It would be like chicken baked in glue I think. If I dredge in flour, I fry, not bake, unless with some oil and crumbs as mentioned.

If you try it, let us know how it comes out.

Eww. It would be like chicken baked in glue I think. If I dredge in flour, I fry, not bake, unless with some oil and crumbs as mentioned.

If you try it, let us know how it comes out.

:rolleyes: There is no way I am going to even try. If I do, I will for sure fry first and then finish in the oven. That is the problem with all this Internet recipe thing. People post whatever garbage they can think of. And that was not even a person, some magazine. Thank G-d for this group.

No, you're right. I would think it would be fried first. I do have a recipe that is dipped in seasoned flour, then eggs, then panko and baked at a high temperature, but not just flour.

+1 GG (although I mostly swallow fry our cutlets ;) )

chicken katsu.jpg

Chicken Katsu is our version of Fried Chciken

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/plate-lunch-special-chicken-katsu/

I started using Rice Flour or Mochiko rather than the seasoned flour, more flavor, IMHO anyways.

:rolleyes: There is no way I am going to even try. If I do, I will for sure fry first and then finish in the oven. That is the problem with all this Internet recipe thing. People post whatever garbage they can think of. And that was not even a person, some magazine. Thank G-d for this group.

One of the best chicken cooking techniques I have ever been taught was to pat dry the chicken with paper towels, then dredge in eggwash, then dust in seasoned, or unseasoned flour. Repeat for a thicker coating if desired. Pan fry in hot oil, about 2 inches deep. Fry to light brown color. Flip and lightly brown the other side. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in 350'F oven for 40 minutes. Oh, salt on both sides when the chicken is removed from the oil. no need to salt if you've used seasoned flour.

This chicken is tender, and flavorful, and so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it. My MIL taught my wife to cook chicken this way, and she taught me. I know a bunch of ways to cook chicken, even a few frying/deep frying methods. This method gives me the best fried chicken, especially when I use my favorite seasoned flour recipe. Even with plain flour, lightly salted after frying, this is amazing chicken. Kudos to my MIL, and my DW.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Has anyone here tried this? I've sprinkled seasoned flour on chicken parts and then baked them lots of times. It works fine. It's like Shake 'n Bake, but better.

Has anyone here tried this? I've sprinkled seasoned flour on chicken parts and then baked them lots of times. It works fine. It's like Shake 'n Bake, but better.

Aha, that is what the recipe basically called for. That was my original question. So, how does it work?

Aha, that is what the recipe basically called for. That was my original question. So, how does it work?

• Pat the chicken pieces dry with a clean cloth or a paper towel. Don't overdo the drying. You want the chicken pieces a bit damp, but not wet.
  • Put the seasoned flour in a bag or in a bowl.
  • Put the chicken pieces in the bag, a few at a time, and shake.
  • Or, put the chicken pieces in the bowl, a few at a time, and toss them with the seasoned flour.
  • Shake off loose flour and put the pieces on the baking sheet.

There won't be a lot of seasoned flour on the chicken.

thank you, that is similar to the recipe I was wondering about. My concern was what happens to flour when baking.

thank you, that is similar to the recipe I was wondering about. My concern was what happens to flour when baking.
Some of it falls off. The stuff that sticks got a bit wet from the chicken and cooks nicely. It doesn't actually do much. I don't usually bother anymore. I just put the nekkid chicken pieces in the oven.

I think it's basically just a way to put a bit of seasoning on the chicken and have it spread out more uniformly than putting the seasoning straight on the chicken.

Ive tried that. Kinda like Shake n bake. I dont care for it. I have to fry it for a little bit first then bake it. I feel it makes it more crispy.

Ive tried that. Kinda like Shake n bake. I dont care for it. I have to fry it for a little bit first then bake it. I feel it makes it more crispy.
Definitely. I was responding to replies like "Then it would likely be really gross ...." and "ew".

Not saying that it's a wonderful method, but it's easy and better than Shake 'n Bake.

Back
Top Bottom