Chicken Saltimbocca with Pesto Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This one sounds interesting. I can't remember where I got it, but I have some homemade pesto and chicken thighs. All I would really need to get is some prosciutto, fontina cheese, and cream.

Chicken Saltimbocca with Pesto Sauce
Serves: 8

For the Pesto:
8 cloves garlic
1 c Italian parsley
1 c fresh basil leaves
1/3 c olive oil
2 T chopped walnuts
2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ t salt
dash of pepper
For the Chicken:
8 large chicken thighs, boned
8 very thin slices fontina cheese, cut to the size of boned and opened chicken thighs
8 very thin slices prosciutto, cut to the size of boned and opened chicken thighs
salt
pepper
For the Sauce:
1 c whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Combine garlic, parsley, basil, olive oil, walnuts, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
Lay out each chicken thigh, skin side down. Spread each thigh with 2 T pesto (reserve remaining pesto for the sauce) and top with a slice of cheese and a slice of prosciutto. Roll up each thigh to enclose filling and place tightly together, seam side down, in a small, shallow baking dish, about 8 x 8” square. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
Whip cream until it is soft and thick, about the consistency of a thin mayonnaise. Fold in the reserved pesto. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep the sauce at room temperature until ready for use.
To serve, transfer chicken thighs to a serving platter and top each piece with 2 tablespoons of the room temperature sauce (heating sauce will turn the pesto brown), or pass the sauce at the table.

Hey Allen, if you can get your hands on it (as I see you are a professional I hope you can find an access...) try some well aged pecorino instead of parmigiano for the pesto... it is awesome!! another recommended experiment is a mixture of pine nuts and cashew in place of walnuts... try in your leisure time and see if you like it!!:)

Well, I made some pesto the other day with my home-grown basil. It smells great, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's currently frozen in ice cubes in my deep-freezer.

I can't use pine nuts (pignoli), as PeppA, my other half, is allergic. I don't have any decent parmigiano, but I do have a small block of romano, which is what I used.

I'm actually thinking about modifying the recipe slightly, and instead of using the whipping cream mixed with pesto, to make some pasta and toss that with a little of the pesto, then place the chicken onto the pasta. Of course, that would be a violation of the primi/secondi principle.

I was also thinking about altering the layout of the chicken itself. The recipe calls to put the cheese and prosciutto inside the chicken thigh. I was thinking about wrapping the chicken on the outside with the prosciutto. We do that with some veal at work, and it's great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom