Chicken Skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH loves rost chicken, but I feel I don't I do it right. I want my whole chicken with a tasty selection of herbs and spices, but I never achieve that, probably because of my ignorance. While my results are semi-ok, I want my roast, whether in the oven or done 'alla' roast on the spit.

My intrepin dog Lucas feels the same. He never eats anything but barbacued spit roast, if that's the main meal of the day.

I'd love some help to get it right, you know, the the little tricks that make all the difference. It must be su as wellitable for Lucus
Here's a good thread on roast chicken you could get some ideas from. Maybe post in that thread your method for roasting chicken and what you don't like about it, so we can help you better.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/general-question-about-baking-chicken-94703.html

Chicken breast meals bought at fast food joints like El Pollo Loco, KFC, Churches Fried Chicken are different from what you get at the store. Store bought chicken breasts are mostly super large. Fast food chain stores have chicken breasts made to order, from the farm. Proprietary. Not too big, not too small. Try and buy a pack of smaller sized bone-in chicken breasts. They're mostly huge. So huge that I'll make sure to at least keep skin on, for the small amount of fat flavor, compared to all that dry white meat on chicken breasts at the store now that are way oversized/grown. Just the way it is.

PS. While chicken breasts are more expensive and healthier, I like dark meat too.

Dark meat is my favorite. I use breast meat for particular dishes that just do better with white meat over dark. But when it comes to eating fried or baked chicken, I'll take the thighs over ANY of piece of the bird.

Dark meat is my favorite. I use breast meat for particular dishes that just do better with white meat over dark. But when it comes to eating fried or baked chicken, I'll take the thighs over ANY of piece of the bird.

I never eat the white meat of any fowl. Scott would always peel off his skin of the breasts and give it to me. I am going to miss that extra skin.

Couldn't agree with you more Linda. Thighs are my first choice for fried, grilled or baked chicken. Having said that, I brine huge boneless skinless "Dolly" breasts for the freezer and cook them for things like Nacho's, noodle dishes, and chicken salads.:chicken:

That's a good idea, Kay. Would you mind telling me what you use as your favorite brine and how long you brine for?

Sure bet Linda. :) Those "Dolly" breasts weigh over a pound and are often on sale for around a buck a pound. I use the simplest brine of 1/4 cup of Kosher salt to 4 cups of water. For breasts that large, I generally let them soak for about four hours, and then rinse them before cooking or freezing. I freeze them whole, and then cut as needed while partly frozen. There is a tremendous benefit when you brine them.

Sure bet Linda. :) Those "Dolly" breasts weigh over a pound and are often on sale for around a buck a pound. I use the simplest brine of 1/4 cup of Kosher salt to 4 cups of water. For breasts that large, I generally let them soak for about four hours, and then rinse them before cooking or freezing. I freeze them whole, and then cut as needed while partly frozen. There is a tremendous benefit when you brine them.

Wow, chicken breasts for a buck a pound? Haven't seen that in a long time.

When they sell chicken breasts with skin on and bone in here, they call them split chicken breasts as opposed to boneless, skinless breasts. When I get those, I like to fry them up and eat the skin with the chicken (after deboning the chicken).

Back
Top Bottom