"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chicken Skin

Nexttime you purchase chickeen, get it with bone in, and skin on. For your boeless chicken dishes, simply remove the meat from the bones. Put the bones into a freezer bag and save up to make stock or broth. Frun the skin until golden brown and crispy, Crumble onto salads, or on top of mashed potatoes. It's, IMHO, better tasting that bacon crumbles, and has less fat. If I'm not using the fried chicken skin as a garnish, it becomes the cook's treat. Give it a try. I think you will be surprised at how great it tastes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I love crispy chicken skin. Stirling thinks it's gross. I wonder if I could convince him to try it fried really crispy. I'll find out.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

No surprise for us Chief. We love crispy chicken sin. It's hands down the most flavorful part of the bird.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I've seen chicken skins fried up slowly, like the Mexicans fry up chicharrón - I think it was in a Chinese place. Super crunchy, and absolutely delicious!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

When I saw the title of the post, I thought of my chicken skin neck. Well, maybe not quite that bad.
SC would pull off all the skin of my perfectly crispy skin beer butt chicken if I let him.
Being raised in a Jewish household, Schmaltz spread on bread is old history for him.

I like crisp chicken skin so I'll give your hints a try Chief.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
Executive Chef

OK, so do you cook it on the chicken first and then sorta' refry it?

I usually buy bone-in, skin-on and remove myself. Whether or not I cook with either depends on the recipe and whether or not I eat the skin with the meal depends on what the scales said in the morning.

Everyone deserves a second chance so I will certainly give removed skin their second chance - to delight. Thanks for a great idea - I'll not tell anyone til after they've had it on salad or what-ever's.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I've seen chicken skins fried up slowly, like the Mexicans fry up chicharrón - I think it was in a Chinese place. Super crunchy, and absolutely delicious!
I've done this, or sumpin' simular, but not often and not recently.

Been thinking lately about an alternative to potato chips for topping old fashioned tuna type casseroles and this thread's got me thinking about using fried chicken or pork skin. But not the kind of fried skin most people seem to mean, essentially fairly quickly deep fried chicken skin not unlike fried legs, thighs, or breasts.

Instead, I'd try following the method used to produce schmaltz, a much slower process in which skin slowly fries in own rendered fat. I did this with chicken skin years ago.

Never tried it with pork skin but I use pig feet in stocks often. The skin becomes disgusting. Intend to try skinning the feet first and saving some up to experiment with.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Duck skin!

I completely forgot! I have done this with Duck skins. Rendered in their own fat. Amazing stuff!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I put mine on a rack over a pan in the toaster oven and roast them slowly while the fat renders. Then I have crispy chicken skin, which I have served like a cracker or as crumbles over mashed potatoes, etc., and I pour off the fat into a canning jar for later.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I would rather have the crispy fried chicken skin from the breast than the meat itself. And for the legs, well I always eat the skin first, then the meat.

Some great ideas here. Chicken skin crumbled for on top of salad, or even mixed in potato salad. Summer is just around the corner folks. Next trip to Market Basket, I will ask the butcher in the back room if they have any skin from the skinless chicken breast meat that they put out in the meats area for cutlets. I am sure they toss those skins into the buckets that get all the trimmings. But with a good washing, placed on a thick layer of paper towels after and patted really dry , then wrapped and placed in the freezer will give me all the chicken skins I could want.

Tags
chicken