Chicken stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who can sort out this conundrum for me? I just read something very similar to the above in the "JOY" cookbook; but Alton Brown's recipe says to simmer for 6-8 hours. So who is correct??

Two hours or eight hours???

I usually go about 4-5 hours or so for chicken bones with meat.

I have a recipe for chicken stock I took from egullet.com that calls for times more like your 8 hours. I've never done stock that long.

I dont think 2 hours is long enough but I know some do. My sister never goes more than two hours for chicken bones.

One thing that I like to do is reduce the stock after all the solids have been reduced. That way you get a more concentrated flavor. Also, it takes less room to store in the freezer if you make more than enough for your current needs.

Who can sort out this conundrum for me? I just read something very similar to the above in the "JOY" cookbook; but Alton Brown's recipe says to simmer for 6-8 hours. So who is correct??

Two hours or eight hours???

Look again at the recipe in Joy and you'll see it's closer to 4 hours than 1-2 (about 30-mins to bring the pot to a simmer, 30-mins to simmer the meat and bones and skim the scum before adding the aromatics, then 3 hours additional simmering). And, that is starting with 2-quarts of water. Alton Brown's recipe starts with 2-GALLONS of water so it is only natural that it would take longer to reduce by half at a simmer.

<--- is all about a big water stock and a long simmer. Whether veal, beef, or chicken, I'd rather give that pile 'o' flavor as much time as necessary to extract at low heat.

Of course, I pretty much go straight from water & bones to consomme by delivering a healthy amount of loose meat to accelerate the clarification, particularly on a veal stock.

Back
Top Bottom