"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Master Chef

I agree about making them ahead.

Not to cast any aspersions on the gourmet tastes of your son's football team, but frankly I don't think they'll care a rat's patootie if the wings were made ahead of time & reheated & tossed with the sauce.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I keep large quantities warm in coolers.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmomaha
Hi, just joined this site with the hope someone could help me out with suggestions for preparing deep fried chicken wings for a large crowd. I will be serving my son's high school football and will need to do about 75 dozen. Planned on just frying plain and then tossing with sauce at some point before serving. Any tips at all with the prep, keeping warm, saucing and serving? THANKS
Wow 75 dozen is a lot and it is very tedious and tedius to fry the wings. Remember you need to make sure each of the wings is well fried and it takes a lot of time. I would rather buy KFC for the crowd.

Why not do it in simple way to bake the chicken in the oven. You might reheat it in the microwave and it taste as nice as it just cooked. You no need to prepare sauce because behind this recipy, the wings is juicy and it produce tasty sauce by itself.

Here the recipy...

Cabrera chicken wings
Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
Head Chef

Just an idea.

It is going to take a heck of a long time to cook those suckers, even with three fryers. Several hours, I would guess.

Would do the cooking the day, or night, before.

You have to chill them, coolers with ice will do.

Rent those serving things caterers use, those with the Sterno underneath. Those with the big trays.

A couple of hours before the event toss the wings in the trays into the oven. If you are like us, you may only have one oven. As each one comes out put them on the table over the flame.

That is all I can think of. I wish there were caterers about, they could give much better advice than I.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Heres what you do, I worked at a wing joint for a few months.

You blanch them first. This involves frying them until they are no longer raw and then removing. You do this to all your raw wings so they are treated and you arent stuck with a bunch of raw chicken when you start.

After blanching them (approx 8 minutes a batch) You cook them to serve, since you are preparing them in advance, blanch them one or two days in advance then refrigerate. On the day of, get up early and start fryin them all again (you could bake too, but they dont come out as good IMO)

Then you can keep them all warm on those foil trays with the canned heat. I suggest a mild, garlic (or hot garlic) and Honey B. You will def. be a hit. Its not that hard once you have them blanched they will cook for another 5-10 minutes a batch and you will have crispy wings everyone will enjoy.

We made several thousand wings on some days.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all your help but a local sports bar has come to the rescue and will do 75 dozen for a great price, saving me a ton of work. I will use some of your suggestions in the future--thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow, I'll bet you're relieved. That has probably taken a load of work off your hands. Good luck with the rest of the party.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Wings only take 3-5 minutes in a 350 deep fryer, and if your fryers can handle 6-8 dozen at a time, you should only need to start cooking maybe 40 minutes before you need your wings, if your sauce is made ahead of time. I'd say the best way to go would be to keep you wings in the warmers until they need to be served, at which point i would toss them in a simple sauce and slop them onto a giant platter.

A quick sauce we do at work sometimes is to reconstitue some dried ancho chiles in warm water, then puree them in a blender, adding honey until it reaches a nice consistency. On the day you need your sauce, mount with butter right before tossing your wings.

Another simple sauce is a reduction of lime juice and soy sauce with fresh herbs and garlic. We don't have any set ratio, we just play with it until we find we we like. These are nice because of the salty-tangy flavor. As before, mount with butter when your wings are ready to go, toss the wings, and dump em on a platter.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Wow, I'll bet you're relieved. That has probably taken a load of work off your hands. Good luck with the rest of the party.
Heck Katie!!!! I'm relieved!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

college cook,
What do you mean by 'mount with butter'? And what does it do and why can't you add it when you make the sauces? Thanks.

Tags
None