"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed
You've GOT to be kidding Chief!!

Whoops, I thought this was about wings.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #42
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.
I agree about the price of wings now. Besides, the ones in the grocery seem to be from itty bitty chickens. How does that happen when chicken breasts are huge? Funny looking chickens me thinks.

Someone here turned me on to Costco chicken wings, and I'll never buy them anywhere else now. The cost is reasonable and the wings are big and meaty.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #44
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))
I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #46
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.
That's what I usually get from Costco. Couple of members of my family love the crunchy, almost burnt wing tips so I usually just leave them on. Only problem with that is they end up taking so much precious grill space.
This week, our local supermarket is having a 50% off any packaged Foster Farms chicken so in this instance this sale price was a lot cheaper than Costco. Costco's fresh chicken also comes from Foster Farms here.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #47
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.
I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.
SO and I are 100% compatible when it comes to wing geography. I like the drumettes and she likes the other section. If I don't cut them, we each have to do that work at the dinner table.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #49
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You've GOT to be kidding Chief!!

Whoops, I thought this was about wings.
Well, ya simply substitute wings for thighs. Simple, no?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #50
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Well, ya simply substitute wings for thighs. Simple, no?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You're exactly right Chief. I was thinking you were saying to skin the wings.

I do a similar sauce for my chicken and it's the bomb as the kids would say.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, chicken wings

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.