"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed
You've GOT to be kidding Chief!!

Whoops, I thought this was about wings.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #42
Master Chef

I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.
I agree about the price of wings now. Besides, the ones in the grocery seem to be from itty bitty chickens. How does that happen when chicken breasts are huge? Funny looking chickens me thinks.

Someone here turned me on to Costco chicken wings, and I'll never buy them anywhere else now. The cost is reasonable and the wings are big and meaty.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #44
Master Chef

I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))
Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))
I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.
That's what I usually get from Costco. Couple of members of my family love the crunchy, almost burnt wing tips so I usually just leave them on. Only problem with that is they end up taking so much precious grill space.
This week, our local supermarket is having a 50% off any packaged Foster Farms chicken so in this instance this sale price was a lot cheaper than Costco. Costco's fresh chicken also comes from Foster Farms here.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.
SO and I are 100% compatible when it comes to wing geography. I like the drumettes and she likes the other section. If I don't cut them, we each have to do that work at the dinner table.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You've GOT to be kidding Chief!!

Whoops, I thought this was about wings.
Well, ya simply substitute wings for thighs. Simple, no?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Well, ya simply substitute wings for thighs. Simple, no?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You're exactly right Chief. I was thinking you were saying to skin the wings.

I do a similar sauce for my chicken and it's the bomb as the kids would say.

Tags
chicken, chicken wings