"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #71
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL! I was outside wandering around without a coat and it was 20 degrees out.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! I was outside wandering around without a coat and it was 20 degrees out.
If you keep doing silly things like that, you will become a patient in your own facility. I hope Shrek had the good sense to drag your back inside.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #73
Master Chef

2 hours worth of shoveling last night with 16'F outside temps. I was very ready for bed when it was all done. I've already got snow up to my house windows, and 5 foot snow banks, and it's only been snowing for less than a week. This is gonna be a long winter. On the plus side, it should help strengthen this old body, maybe replace some of the unwanted lbs. with lean muscle tissue.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #74
Master Chef

I could use some smoldering chicken, or hot wings right now. Fired up the car this morning. My transmission mad that whining noise that it makes when it's very cold outside. I looked at the thermometer. It read -5.7 F. We've gone from the snowy weather of January to the frigid temps of February in less than a week. By Christmas it should be summer again.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I could use some smoldering chicken, or hot wings right now. Fired up the car this morning. My transmission mad that whining noise that it makes when it's very cold outside. I looked at the thermometer. It read -5.7 F. We've gone from the snowy weather of January to the frigid temps of February in less than a week. By Christmas it should be summer again.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Your post gave me a flashback!

Years ago we used to keep a mechanics lead cord with a 100 watt bulb burning under the hood of the car at night to keep the engine slightly warm. At least once a winter someone would hop in the car and try to drive off without removing it.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My deep fryer died last winter. I'm hesitant to get a new one.
Just use a heavy duty sauce pan to suit your needs. Fill about just half full with oil and fry away!
We have one pan relegated to deep frying. I have two Fry Daddy's, but they are not always ready with fresh oil.

Quote:
DW will tell ya, low twenties isn't cold to me. It's just mildly chilly. I don't start feeling the cold until the temps drop below ten degrees F., or so. A brisk, snowy wind with temps in the upper teens can feel cold as sell, but not if I'm dressed for it, you know, light jacket and tuke, and a pair of leather gloves.

When I was in my upper teens, and in Judo class, I'd get all hot and sweaty, open the gym door, and stand out in the snow in my bare feet, with nothing on from the neck to the waist, ans stand there for several minutes to cool down. I weighed in at less than 100 lbs. back then, and so I know it wasn't body fat insulating me. I just have always had a hot metabolism. My dad was the same way. But just as it makes winter more enjoyable, it makes hot summers miserable for me. I'd rather be comfortable in both. But you just have to live with what you're given.

Tonight, I've been given a mini blizzard, with temps in the teens. I'm going to go home and have to shovel just to park the car in my driveway. 5 p.m.. has come, and work isn't over yet. I won't get paid for what I do when I get home though, except for the benefits I'll get from the rigorous exercise of shoveling lots of snow, for better than an hour.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Be careful. I heard at least three people have died from over exertion doing what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Your post gave me a flashback!

Years ago we used to keep a mechanics lead cord with a 100 watt bulb burning under the hood of the car at night to keep the engine slightly warm. At least once a winter someone would hop in the car and try to drive off without removing it.
I had a diesel once that needed to be plugged in during very cold weather.
To keep the oil warm and ready to operate.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Just use a heavy duty sauce pan to suit your needs. Fill about just half full with oil and fry away!
We have one pan relegated to deep frying. I have two Fry Daddy's, but they are not always ready with fresh oil.

Be careful. I heard at least three people have died from over exertion doing what you are doing.

We haven't had any snow so far. I don't know about the western half of the state. I can do very well without the snow or cold. As I age and get older, I mind the cold weather even more. It seems like the cold just gets into my bones and stays there. I love warmth.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #78
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

One winter, I had to go out to the car, and turn on the engine. I let it run for twenty minutes to warm up the engine compartment. This would give me enough residual warmth to fire up the beast in the morning. It was sub-zero weather that year for a month straight. Last winter it was hovering between sub-zero and 5 degrees for the entire months of January and February.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #79
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
One winter, I had to go out to the car, and turn on the engine. I let it run for twenty minutes to warm up the engine compartment...

Ah, the beauty of a remote car starter! Start you car from the warmth of your home and it automatically shuts off at a pre-set time.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Ah, the beauty of a remote car starter! Start you car from the warmth of your home and it automatically shuts off at a pre-set time.

Growing up in northern North Dakota, we had to plug our cars into the block heaters every night! Remote starters weren't even a twinkle back then.

Tags
chicken, chicken wings