"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #81
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Growing up in northern North Dakota, we had to plug our cars into the block heaters every night! Remote starters weren't even a twinkle back then.
Didn't have remote starters when I was growing up either. Really glad we have them now. Never have to get into an ice cold or scorching hot car. When there is a foot of snow on my car, I remote start it. By the time I get out there, the snow slides right off the car.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #82
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Didn't have remote starters when I was growing up either. Really glad we have them now. Never have to get into an ice cold or scorching hot car. When there is a foot of snow on my car, I remote start it. By the time I get out there, the snow slides right off the car.

I'm just thankful to have a car that starts!

I remember the "good old days" when I had an old car that you had to slip into neutral and give it the gas every time you pulled up to a red light.

Just to keep this thread on track, I remember many times when I had a Styrofoam container of chicken wings next to me on the passenger seat of that old car as I headed to work!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #83
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Ah, the beauty of a remote car starter! Start you car from the warmth of your home and it automatically shuts off at a pre-set time.
Some states (like here) remote starters are illegal.

Though some states (like here) think making more laws solves problems, even if there isn't a problem to solve.

It is also illegal to let you car stand and idle if you are not with it.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #84
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Though some states (like here) think making more laws solves problems, even if there isn't a problem to solve.

Amazing!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We haven't had any snow so far. I don't know about the western half of the state. I can do very well without the snow or cold. As I age and get older, I mind the cold weather even more. It seems like the cold just gets into my bones and stays there. I love warmth.
Same here. I get cold just looking at a picture of snow!

Quote:
Ah, the beauty of a remote car starter! Start you car from the warmth of your home and it automatically shuts off at a pre-set time.
One of the reasons i bought my truck. I was on the edge and when I saw the salesman start it remotely I was sold.
I really like this option in winter and in summer.

Quote:
So no Dodge pickups in your area? Its a standard item for my model.
BTW, how would they enforce the idling law. Do they go around to see if people are warming their cars in the morning? What about vehicles that come standard with remote start? Banned from sale? Banned from area?
What is the reasoning behind this most silly law? And what is the penalty?

And I sure hope it applies to the cops. They are biggest abusers of fuel of any person or persons in this country.
There is a cop that sits at the neighborhood convenience store talking to the owner. He sometimes is there for more than one hour. Car running outside the whole time. He does this almost daily.
I took his car number and wrote it down, but decided to leave it alone.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #86
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

I invite those law makers to come and hang out while my car warms up.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not a big fan of food with heat. I used to like it, but with age, came a sensitive tummy also. So I just marinate my wings in soy sauce and then bake. That's all the seasoning I need for them. And I can eat them hot or cold.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #88
Head Chef

Wrap the entire load of chicken wings in heavy duty foil and tuck them around the cars engine block. By the time you get to your work place, they will be hot and ready. Better yet, keep them in your engine compartment and when it comes time to serve the wings, idle your engine to heat them up. Hell, you could probably cook them that way.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #89
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I invite those law makers to come and hang out while my car warms up.
A couple years ago we had a cold snap.. temps in the teens for several days. They had the police spokesman on the radio reminding people and warning them they would write those tickets.

Crying shame it is. MD would be a fabulous place to live if it wasn't infested with politicians.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #90
Master Chef

Quote:
A couple years ago we had a cold snap.. temps in the teens for several days. They had the police spokesman on the radio reminding people and warning them they would write those tickets.

Crying shame it is. MD would be a fabulous place to live if it wasn't infested with politicians.
It's a good thing we don't have that law here. Last year the temps were at 0 or below for part of December, all of January and February, and part of March. It was the coldest winter in my lifetime. Lake Superior froze completely over for the first time in my lifetime. Such a law would have led to a civil uprising in Michigan. I mean, in Detroit, they have riots whenever a major sports team wins some kind of Championship. Up here in the U.P., we're more civil. But we also have more hunters with firearms.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, chicken wings