Chicken Wings (Hot Wings) to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's freezing for most of us here in SoCal. :LOL:
I prefer to use the kitchen gas grill when it's freezing outside.

I know for me it is! :LOL: Although we get down to the mid 20's here, and sometimes I still grill outside. :ohmy::wacko:

Kayelle....those wings looks fantastic...I love the little charred bits. It's tempting to pull them off and munch on them before they even hit the plate. :yum::LOL:

I was thinking more like below freezing.

My grill is on my deck right outside the slider in the dining area so it's easy for me to pop in and out to flip or turn something and go right back in.

Typically, my Webber Kettle is in the middle of my front yard. I keep a path shoveled to it, and a windbreak made of snow just west of it. I keep a circle cleared of snow all the way around, even when the snow is three to four feet deep. I've been known to grill in the middle of a snow storm, when the temps drop into the low teens. Below that, the grill won't stay hot enough to cook properly, even with the lid on. I've posted pictures in past years of grilling in a snow storm. I look like the abominable snow-man.

And for you cold-challenged types, after a cold winter, you often see college students start sunning themselves in bikinis, on dorm roofs when the temps rise to the mid forties. I swim in 62 degree water.

You get used to the cold. I never got used to the extreme heat of Southern Cal. Above 80, I get very uncomfortable with the heat.s DW thinks I'm nuts. But then again, she's a San Diego (actually, El Cajon) girl.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Typically, my Webber Kettle is in the middle of my front yard. I keep a path shoveled to it, and a windbreak made of snow just west of it. I keep a circle cleared of snow all the way around, even when the snow is three to four feet deep. I've been known to grill in the middle of a snow storm, when the temps drop into the low teens. Below that, the grill won't stay hot enough to cook properly, even with the lid on. I've posted pictures in past years of grilling in a snow storm. I look like the abominable snow-man.

And for you cold-challenged types, after a cold winter, you often see college students start sunning themselves in bikinis, on dorm roofs when the temps rise to the mid forties. I swim in 62 degree water.

You get used to the cold. I never got used to the extreme heat of Southern Cal. Above 80, I get very uncomfortable with the heat.s DW thinks I'm nuts. But then again, she's a San Diego (actually, El Cajon) girl.

And that is in June...

I prefer grilling to roasting by a wide margin but sometimes it's too cold to go out to the grill.

As do I. And it does not have to be very cold for me to use my oven instead.
At home, even in warm weather, we deep fry our Buffalo wings.
Traditional is my favorite way. Grilling comes in at a distant second place.

Believe me, if we did not have an indoor grill I'd be grilling outdoors no matter what...

I just cannot do it in cold weather. Grilling that is. ;)
My grills and smokers most likely will never be used again until spring.
We are in the south, but in the foothills.
We had snow flurries last night and it gets cold here. Very cold. Low 20's last night.

As do I. And it does not have to be very cold for me to use my oven instead.
At home, even in warm weather, we deep fry our Buffalo wings.
Traditional is my favorite way. Grilling comes in at a distant second place.

I just cannot do it in cold weather. Grilling that is. ;)
My grills and smokers most likely will never be used again until spring.
We are in the south, but in the foothills.
We had snow flurries last night and it gets cold here. Very cold. Low 20's last night.

DW will tell ya, low twenties isn't cold to me. It's just mildly chilly.:LOL: I don't start feeling the cold until the temps drop below ten degrees F., or so. A brisk, snowy wind with temps in the upper teens can feel cold as sell, but not if I'm dressed for it, you know, light jacket and tuke, and a pair of leather gloves.

When I was in my upper teens, and in Judo class, I'd get all hot and sweaty, open the gym door, and stand out in the snow in my bare feet, with nothing on from the neck to the waist, ans stand there for several minutes to cool down. I weighed in at less than 100 lbs. back then, and so I know it wasn't body fat insulating me. I just have always had a hot metabolism. My dad was the same way. But just as it makes winter more enjoyable, it makes hot summers miserable for me. I'd rather be comfortable in both. But you just have to live with what you're given.

Tonight, I've been given a mini blizzard, with temps in the teens. I'm going to go home and have to shovel just to park the car in my driveway. 5 p.m.. has come, and work isn't over yet. I won't get paid for what I do when I get home though, except for the benefits I'll get from the rigorous exercise of shoveling lots of snow, for better than an hour.:neutral:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was thinking more like below freezing.

My grill is on my deck right outside the slider in the dining area so it's easy for me to pop in and out to flip or turn something and go right back in.

So put a coat rack right next to the door so you can grab it every time you go out there to check on your food. :angel:

2 hours worth of shoveling last night with 16'F outside temps. I was very ready for bed when it was all done. I've already got snow up to my house windows, and 5 foot snow banks, and it's only been snowing for less than a week. This is gonna be a long winter. On the plus side, it should help strengthen this old body, maybe replace some of the unwanted lbs. with lean muscle tissue.

I could use some smoldering chicken, or hot wings right now. Fired up the car this morning. My transmission mad that whining noise that it makes when it's very cold outside. I looked at the thermometer. It read -5.7 F. We've gone from the snowy weather of January to the frigid temps of February in less than a week. By Christmas it should be summer again.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I could use some smoldering chicken, or hot wings right now. Fired up the car this morning. My transmission mad that whining noise that it makes when it's very cold outside. I looked at the thermometer. It read -5.7 F. We've gone from the snowy weather of January to the frigid temps of February in less than a week. By Christmas it should be summer again.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Your post gave me a flashback!

Years ago we used to keep a mechanics lead cord with a 100 watt bulb burning under the hood of the car at night to keep the engine slightly warm. At least once a winter someone would hop in the car and try to drive off without removing it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My deep fryer died last winter. I'm hesitant to get a new one.

Just use a heavy duty sauce pan to suit your needs. Fill about just half full with oil and fry away!
We have one pan relegated to deep frying. I have two Fry Daddy's, but they are not always ready with fresh oil.

DW will tell ya, low twenties isn't cold to me. It's just mildly chilly.:LOL: I don't start feeling the cold until the temps drop below ten degrees F., or so. A brisk, snowy wind with temps in the upper teens can feel cold as sell, but not if I'm dressed for it, you know, light jacket and tuke, and a pair of leather gloves.

When I was in my upper teens, and in Judo class, I'd get all hot and sweaty, open the gym door, and stand out in the snow in my bare feet, with nothing on from the neck to the waist, ans stand there for several minutes to cool down. I weighed in at less than 100 lbs. back then, and so I know it wasn't body fat insulating me. I just have always had a hot metabolism. My dad was the same way. But just as it makes winter more enjoyable, it makes hot summers miserable for me. I'd rather be comfortable in both. But you just have to live with what you're given.

Tonight, I've been given a mini blizzard, with temps in the teens. I'm going to go home and have to shovel just to park the car in my driveway. 5 p.m.. has come, and work isn't over yet. I won't get paid for what I do when I get home though, except for the benefits I'll get from the rigorous exercise of shoveling lots of snow, for better than an hour.:neutral:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Be careful. I heard at least three people have died from over exertion doing what you are doing.

Your post gave me a flashback!

Years ago we used to keep a mechanics lead cord with a 100 watt bulb burning under the hood of the car at night to keep the engine slightly warm. At least once a winter someone would hop in the car and try to drive off without removing it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I had a diesel once that needed to be plugged in during very cold weather.
To keep the oil warm and ready to operate.

Just use a heavy duty sauce pan to suit your needs. Fill about just half full with oil and fry away!
We have one pan relegated to deep frying. I have two Fry Daddy's, but they are not always ready with fresh oil.

Be careful. I heard at least three people have died from over exertion doing what you are doing.

We haven't had any snow so far. I don't know about the western half of the state. I can do very well without the snow or cold. As I age and get older, I mind the cold weather even more. It seems like the cold just gets into my bones and stays there. I love warmth. :angel:

One winter, I had to go out to the car, and turn on the engine. I let it run for twenty minutes to warm up the engine compartment. This would give me enough residual warmth to fire up the beast in the morning. It was sub-zero weather that year for a month straight. Last winter it was hovering between sub-zero and 5 degrees for the entire months of January and February.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ah, the beauty of a remote car starter! Start you car from the warmth of your home and it automatically shuts off at a pre-set time.

Growing up in northern North Dakota, we had to plug our cars into the block heaters every night! Remote starters weren't even a twinkle back then.

Back
Top Bottom