Chicken Wings (Hot Wings) to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Hi All,

I'm in charge of bringing hot wings to work, and I want to try to keep them as fresh as possible. I thought about bringing sauces for the side instead of spinning them. I'll be frying them at home and bringing them in for later. The only way to reheat would be a microwave.

Any tips for keeping them crispy and keeping them fresh?

I'm thinking that inside of a ziplock bag and then inside of a cooler of warm water won't be much better.

I totally agree.

Things that are originally crispy get soggy in a microwave. To keep them crisp, a toaster oven or an actual oven with dry heat is the way to go.

Not allowed in a hospital. We'll set off a smoke detector. :)

Putting them in a zip-lok would make them soggy I would think. A paper bag would probably work better. The hospital must have a kitchen? Maybe they would allow you to reheat them.

I would order them from a local pizza shop.

If that is not possible I would reheat them in a slow cooker or an electric frying pan.

Make a small batch at home and try a test run to see if your plan is acceptable.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have had good luck keeping things warm (not sure about crispy) using heated bricks in a cooler. I heat up two or three bricks in the oven. Lay down thick towels. Put the bricks on the towels and cover with another towel. you can put your food in there and it will stay warm quite a while. This may create a humid environment and not work for your wings. you would have to test it.

I have had good luck keeping things warm (not sure about crispy) using heated bricks in a cooler. I heat up two or three bricks in the oven. Lay down thick towels. Put the bricks on the towels and cover with another towel. you can put your food in there and it will stay warm quite a while. This may create a humid environment and not work for your wings. you would have to test it.

The heck with them bricks! Smoke and foil two pork butts! They'll stay scorching hot for several hours. Besides you can eat your "warmers".:ROFLMAO:

It's really not doable. I would tell your co-workers you can either do non-crispy hot wings or something else. BTW, a toaster oven shouldn't set off a smoke alarm unless something is burning.

Instead of frying your wings to crispy pefection, and then trying to maintain that crisp texture, try baking your wings, without a batter or coating. You can marinate the wings in a hot sauce mixture will give you the flavor you're looking for. The wings can then be re-heated in the microwave without loss of quality (If done carefully).

If you need them with a coating, do as suggested above, thn, when already hot, sprinkle with toasted Panko breadcrumbs, or regular breadcrumbs.

Another suggestion, fry them, store in the fridge. Bring them to work, and reheat in a portable roaster to heat them before lunch.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom