"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Chicken wings recipe?

Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.

__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.
Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.
Exactly. There's a city down south of me that serves what they call "seasoned" wings, no sauce, just seasoning. And they are good, but some might still consider them spicy depending on if you like the seasonings or not.
I could eat chicken wings plain though. And have
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,794
You could try and make your own shake and bake type recipe. Just use half flour and half cornmeal and add whatever spices or seasonings you do like. Don't forget to use an eggwash first so the crumb mixture will stick to the wings....
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Wow I wish I had seen all of these wonderful suggestions before I baked the wings tonight! I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and adobo and tossed them in olive oil. They came out okay, but next time I'd like to try the shake and bake suggestion or honey mustard glaze. Both sound yummy!
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!
Hi Kathleen, do you add the honey mustard sauce after baking the wings for a bit, or put it on the wings when they first go into the oven? In this recipe I found online, the wings are baked first and then they are coated with sauce and put back into the oven. This seems difficult and messy.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1026

What do you suggest?
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.

Oh....from that recipe, I would save those wing tips to toss in to make stock!
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.
I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!
I'll have to respectully disagee with that. I've eaten bad chicken. I had no idea until about four hours later. If it had tasted bad while I was eating it I would have stopped, but the awsome sauce this place had masked that. Don't trifle with poultry that seems a little off, no matter what the date says.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.