"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Chicken wings recipe?

Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.
Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.
Exactly. There's a city down south of me that serves what they call "seasoned" wings, no sauce, just seasoning. And they are good, but some might still consider them spicy depending on if you like the seasonings or not.
I could eat chicken wings plain though. And have
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

You could try and make your own shake and bake type recipe. Just use half flour and half cornmeal and add whatever spices or seasonings you do like. Don't forget to use an eggwash first so the crumb mixture will stick to the wings....
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Cupcake

How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Wow I wish I had seen all of these wonderful suggestions before I baked the wings tonight! I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and adobo and tossed them in olive oil. They came out okay, but next time I'd like to try the shake and bake suggestion or honey mustard glaze. Both sound yummy!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!
Hi Kathleen, do you add the honey mustard sauce after baking the wings for a bit, or put it on the wings when they first go into the oven? In this recipe I found online, the wings are baked first and then they are coated with sauce and put back into the oven. This seems difficult and messy.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1026

What do you suggest?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Cupcake

I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.

Oh....from that recipe, I would save those wing tips to toss in to make stock!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.
I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!
I'll have to respectully disagee with that. I've eaten bad chicken. I had no idea until about four hours later. If it had tasted bad while I was eating it I would have stopped, but the awsome sauce this place had masked that. Don't trifle with poultry that seems a little off, no matter what the date says.

Tags
None