Chicken wings recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.

Does anyone have a simple non-spicy recipe for chicken wings? Anything that doesn't have garlic or soy sauce (which I don't eat)? I'd love to make them with a honey glaze, if I have enough honey.

Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.:chef::ermm::LOL:

Good luck with your recipe, but if you took out hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic from my recipe, you'd have nothing left but the wings.:chef::ermm::LOL:

Exactly. There's a city down south of me that serves what they call "seasoned" wings, no sauce, just seasoning. And they are good, but some might still consider them spicy depending on if you like the seasonings or not.
I could eat chicken wings plain though. And have :)

You could try and make your own shake and bake type recipe. Just use half flour and half cornmeal and add whatever spices or seasonings you do like. Don't forget to use an eggwash first so the crumb mixture will stick to the wings....

How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!

Wow I wish I had seen all of these wonderful suggestions before I baked the wings tonight! I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and adobo and tossed them in olive oil. They came out okay, but next time I'd like to try the shake and bake suggestion or honey mustard glaze. Both sound yummy!

Kathleen said:
How about something like a honey-mustard sauce? You could mix honey and mustard like dijon or basic yellow mustard to taste. I'd likely add a bit of vinegar. Maybe one or two capfuls, again to taste. Some basic pepper. Really, use whatever appeals to you. It sounds yummy to me!

Hi Kathleen, do you add the honey mustard sauce after baking the wings for a bit, or put it on the wings when they first go into the oven? In this recipe I found online, the wings are baked first and then they are coated with sauce and put back into the oven. This seems difficult and messy.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1026

What do you suggest?

I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.

Oh....from that recipe, I would save those wing tips to toss in to make stock!

Last edited:
Kathleen said:
I would bake the wings, and mix the sauce in a large bowl. (I have metal bowls that I'd use.) When essentially done (crispy,) I would use tongs to toss the wings into the sauce and cover the bowl, but then shake the bowl to coat the wings. Then use the tongs to put the wings back in the oven to bake longer to set the sauce a bit.

I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!

I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!

I'll have to respectully disagee with that. I've eaten bad chicken. I had no idea until about four hours later. If it had tasted bad while I was eating it I would have stopped, but the awsome sauce this place had masked that. Don't trifle with poultry that seems a little off, no matter what the date says.

Very true. But also, play with the sauce recipe until you get something that suits you as well. In a honey-mustard sauce, I think that the sauce may not be so tasty on chicken if not tasty on its own. I think I'd skip butter in a honey-mustard sauce, but that is just me. Did you use that recipe?

Consider something like this - but add the sauce after the wings are crispy.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience with the chicken! I guess if the sauce is really tasty when you have chicken in a restaurant, it's hard to tell. I should have known the chicken I bought was bad because it smelled kind of funky right out of the package. Next time, I'm bringing it back to the supermarket and getting a refund!

Kathleen said:
Very true. But also, play with the sauce recipe until you get something that suits you as well. In a honey-mustard sauce, I think that the sauce may not be so tasty on chicken if not tasty on its own. I think I'd skip butter in a honey-mustard sauce, but that is just me. Did you use that recipe?

I just made a mixture of sunflower oil, honey, and salt. I forgot about the mustard :( It tasted pretty bland. At first I couldn't tell if the wings weren't tasty because of the chicken or the sauce. I think it was probably both.

There are few things as bad as rancid chicken! Definitely take it back if not good.

Try a recipe like this...but add after the chicken is already crispy. I think the sauce sounds yummy. Not sure if I would add so much curry, if any.

Thanks so much, Kathleen. Rancid chicken tastes awful, and now my whole kitchen smells like it! I think I need to buy my chicken directly from the butcher or at Whole Foods. I bought Murray's free range chicken at the supermarket, and it didn't live up to its reputation!

Don't trifle with poultry that seems a little off, no matter what the date says.
That's a fact! Chicken has a very distinctive smell when it's off. You can't miss it once you know what it smells like.

The first act I make when opening a bag of chicken or chicken parts is to do a almost touching, sniff test. Fresh chicken also has a very distinctive smell. The two smells are so entirely different that it can't be mistaken.

Timothy said:
That's a fact! Chicken has a very distinctive smell when it's off. You can't miss it once you know what it smells like.

The first act I make when opening a bag of chicken or chicken parts is to do a almost touching, sniff test. Fresh chicken also has a very distinctive smell. The two smells are so entirely different that it can't be mistaken.

Seems that bad chicken has a kind of sour smell, right?

If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) :chicken::yum:and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.

If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) :chicken::yum:and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.

I'll definitely be trying this method! It sounds absolutely delicious!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom