Chicken with barley stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I am going to be baking a whole chicken with a pearled barley stuffing. Should I pre-cook the barley before stuffing the chicken? My first thought is to parboil the barley.

Oh definately precook. It would be like sticking raw rice into the bird. There won't be enough moisture in there to cook fully.

ooo! I love barley! It takes forever to cook till tender, so I'd cook it all the way through before stuffing the bird.

Would you please post your recipe, jet?

Lee

ooo! I love barley! It takes forever to cook till tender, so I'd cook it all the way through before stuffing the bird.

Would you please post your recipe, jet?

Lee

I do not have a recipe yet, but I will post a recap after the fact (although it will be a couple of weeks).

IMHO it must be cooked. Sounds interesting, please post when you get the recipe.

Not to mention the fact that barley, even pearled barley, swells a good deal when cooked. It's volume could "exceed the ability of the chicken to contain it."

Not to mention the fact that barley, even pearled barley, swells a good deal when cooked. It's volume could "exceed the ability of the chicken to contain it."

Good point.

I finally made the recipe and here are the ingredients:
  • Pearled barley (pre-cooked)
  • Chopped onion
  • Mushrooms
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary
  • Parsley
I stuffed the chicken and had some barley left, so I placed it in the baking bag with the chicken. I dusted the chicken with poultry seasoning and some salt.

It turned out excellent and I will most certainly be making this again.

Back
Top Bottom