Chicken with FORTY Cloves of Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder, do you serve the veggies that are cooked with the chicken? What sides do you use? I'd love to make this for friends sometime soon.
I don't know about the others, but my recipe is designed to lift the lid and serve chicken and vegetables from the pot. The aroma that greets the diners as the seal on the pot is broken is irresistible, and everything comes out perfectly cooked.

You won't know until you try it! :)

That sounds so good AllenOK. Can you indulge a beginner and tell me how you caramelize the drippings? I know how to deglaze but do you add anything to caramelize or just brown the drippings up in a pan?

Certainly!

Since I use 5 lbs of chicken leg-and-thigh quarters, cut apart, I have to use a turkey roaster to cook the chicken in. When it's done, I remove the chicken to a platter or 13x9" pan to hold it in. The garlic cloves get removed and pureed. Everything else, the chicken fat, water-based juices, and as much of the solids (skin, meat, cartilage, etc.) gets poured and/or scraped into a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. I'll cook this mixture until all the water cooks out, then the solids start to caramelize. Once it all reaches a nice pecan-brown color, I deglaze with chicken stock. I'll reduce this a bit to concentrate the flavors, then strain the liquid into my gravy separator. I'll pour the liquid back into skillet, bring it to a boil, and tighten in gravy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

One last question...do you peel the garlic cloves? I have Ina's recipe that says peel them, James Beard's says unpeeled. Wouldn't that make it hard to serve. Beard says to use the garlic by squeezing on crusty slices of bread. What do you all think?

One of the things I like about DC, is that there are so many different takes and input on a recipe i.e. how one might change it/different techniques, etc.

Going back to the original question about the recipe for Chicken w 40 cloves of garlic - I would pprepare it in the oven - roasting the chicken and the garlic -- add veggies if you like. Yes, you can add lots of garlic to any recipe, but it won't be Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

Linda, you raised a good question about the garlic being peeled or not. I have roasted heads of garlic with skin on - cutting off the top of the head & drizzling w olive oil & squeezing the cloves onto a baguette - but the chicken w 40 cloves some recipes don't mention actually peeling the cloves individually. I would peel the individual cloves - smacking em with a knife, prior to adding the garlic to the recipe. W/o peeling the individual cloves, I imagine that leaving the skins on would be papery.

Re veggies to serve with, take a peek at the links I posted - you can add cherry tomatoes and/or artichokes, shrooms if you like -- asparagus is another adea - or steam broc on the side.

Keltin, if you like roasted chicken & roasted garlic, I would recommend making the recipe in the oven - just my two cents.

Last edited:
I peel my garlic cloves for this. I'm going to puree to use in something else, and rarely have bread of any kind ready for the garlic pulp.

I peel my garlic cloves for this. I'm going to puree to use in something else, and rarely have bread of any kind ready for the garlic pulp.

Yes, I would peel the cloves of garlic individually.

Independent of the chicken recipe, I regularly roast garlic heads and keep them in the fridge to flavor up turkey sandwiches, and the like... no fat, tons of flavor. :)

I am going to peel the garlic for the dish and roast additional garlic for putting on the bread, if anyone want to do that.

There, I'm done!

Back
Top Bottom