Chicken with Red and Yellow Sauces
This is from my new chicken cookbook that Santa brought me. I haven't tried it yet but, it sure is pretty in the photo.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 good pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tsp tomato paste
2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
pinch of dried basil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2/3 cups dry white wine
2/3 cups chicken bouillon
Bouqet garni, fresh or dried
salt and pepper
fresh herbs, to garnish
1. heat 1 tablespoon of oil in each of two medium-sized sauce pans.
Place half of the onions, 1 clove garlic, red bell peppers, cayenne pepper and tomato paste in one pan. Place the remaining onions, garlic , yellow peppers and basil in the other pan.
2. Cover each pan and cook over very low heat for one hour, until the peppers have softened. If either mixture becomes dry add a little water. Work each mixture separately in a food processor and the sift separately.
3. Return the separate mixtures to the pans and season with salt and pepper to tsate. The 2 sauces can be gently reheated while the chicken is cooking.
4. Put the chicken into a skillet and add the wine and bouillon. Add the bouquet garni and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cook the chicken for about 20 minutes, until tender. Remove the bouquet garni.
5. To Serve... pour some of each sauce on to individual serving plates.
Slice the chicken breast and arrange on the plates. Garnish with fresh herbs.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost