"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc
I have no doubt that you find it acceptable but I would do it very differently.
Not everyone here is as sophisticated in their approach to cooking as you are, archiduc....why not try a little kindness and tact, so as not to discourage the rest of us?

Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Hi Karen,
Believe it or not, I`m entitled to express an opinion!

What I said was " I have no doubt you find it acceptable but I would do it differently"

What is offensive or objectionable in this? If one person, cook/chef, family etc., finds it acceptable to THEIR palate, then so be it. Hence, if you find it acceptable, do it, BUT, I would do it differently AND I retain my right to say that I would do it differently.

Please note that my post continued and outlined the way in which I would "do It" and did not end with your selective quote!

Whether you agree with "how I would do it" is entirely a matter for your palate (taste) and preference - but when we come to the latter there is no argument as each is individual! (PACE!). This brings me back to the first point I made: " I have no doubt that you find it acceptable but I would do it very differently". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
Hi Karen,
Believe it or not, I`m entitled to express an opinion!

What I said was " I have no doubt you find it acceptable but I would do it differently"

What is offensive or objectionable in this? If one person, cook/chef, family etc., finds it acceptable to THEIR palate, then so be it. Hence, if you find it acceptable, do it, BUT, I would do it differently AND I retain my right to say that I would do it differently.

Please note that my post continued and outlined the way in which I would "do It" and did not end with your selective quote!

Whether you agree with "how I would do it" is entirely a matter for your palate (taste) and preference - but when we come to the latter there is no argument as each is individual! (PACE!). This brings me back to the first point I made: " I have no doubt that you find it acceptable but I would do it very differently". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can not speak for Karen, but the part I found objectionable in your post was the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
Sorry, but I won`t be trying your "chicken tonite".
That is a belittling statement and really did not need to be said. You could have gotten your point across just fine with telling someone that you specifically will not make what they posted. That could be perceived as rude.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Next thing you know someone will be calling potato chips "crap in a bag" and outlining how they make their own homemade chips to use in a batter.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I can not speak for Karen, but the part I found objectionable in your post was the following...

That is a belittling statement and really did not need to be said. You could have gotten your point across just fine with telling someone that you specifically will not make what they posted. That could be perceived as rude.

i totally agree, i found it sorta sounded mean, implying that blake knew nothing.

gotta be room though for everyone's opinion. maybe if no one asks your opinion, you should keep it to yourself.

babe
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc
What is offensive or objectionable in this?
You apparently misread my message, archiduc. I did not call your remarks offensive or objectionable. I merely said that kindness and tact might be preferable, so as not to discourage someone whose approach to cooking differs from yours. I have learned alot from many of your posts, archiduc, and no one disagrees that you have a right to express an opinion. This is a community of kind and generous people, and I believe the culture here is to encourage everyone, regardless of their skill level, to share ideas and learn from one another. Demeaning remarks discourage that kind of open dialogue. Like you, I also have a right to express an opinion, and that is my opinion.

May I also add that the OP has only made 7 posts to DC; his original post was on 6/25; your response was on 6/27; and he has not written a post to DC since. If he felt unwelcome here, then I think that is really too bad.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

My apologies to all.
At no point was I trying to be belittling, insulting or rude to Blake. If you look at the full post you will see that I did not condemn it out of hand but went on to explain how I would do it - or I think I did!

It would appear that my opening comment has elicited your disapproval. On the one hand, I see what your are all saying. Part of me feels that if I had used an exclammation mark and a smiley it might, just might, have been a tad more acceptable.

The problem is that in the UK, on another board, posters would know exactly what I mean as there is a product sold called "Chicken Tonite" and my opening statement would have been seen as _I_ meant it to be seen, namely a jocular statement given food debates here.

Clearly, this has not been the case here, and for that I apologise.

Archiduc
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #28
Head Chef

Apology accepted as far as I am concerned, archiduc. As you implied, we may in fact be dealing with some cultural misunderstandings as well. Hope you stick around because I know that you have much to contribute here. Also hope the OP comes back....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Thank you archiduc.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Apology accepted as far as I am concerned, archiduc. As you implied, we may in fact be dealing with some cultural misunderstandings as well. Hope you stick around because I know that you have much to contribute here. Also hope the OP comes back....
Hi MexicoKaren,
Thank you for that - I really do feel quite distressed at causing such a kerfuffle and hopefully this will put an end to the matter.

Mind you, if you want to see some _really_ heated debates you have to join the BBC Food Messageboard as well. At the moment we have one going (106 posts on the current thread and counting ) on Fois Gras and some others in the archives - meringues spring to mind but there may be other BBCFood messageboard poster who post here so I`ll say no more.

All the best,
Archiduc

Tags
None