Chipotle with Chicken and Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are those canned ones with adobo sauce worth buying? How good is the sauce? is it some poor quality crap filled highfructose cornsyrup and god knows what else

I have some of the La Costeña brand Chipotles en Adobo myself. The ingredients listed on the can are: Chipotle peppers, vinegar, tomatoes, onions, sugar, iodized salt, paprika, soybean oil, and spices. No mention of High-fructose corn syrup at all.

The sauce isn't really that sweet, and is incredibly smokey in taste. It's also on the spicy side, from the peppers. Whenever I use the canned stuff, I just purree the entire can and use it as needed.

The canned in adobo isn't a poorer quality just because it's canned. It's a different style of chipotle. They have different applications. The canned ones don't have to be rehydrated, they're ready to go.

You can buy fresh tomatos or tomatos in a can. Both can be top quality. They just have different applications.

What I would do is try rehydrating the chipotles by putting a pot on the stove bringing the temp up (not boiling) then drop them in the pot, let them site in the water for about 10 to 15 min, try and submerge them as much as possible. Once they are soft take them out and put them on a cutting board. Then take off the stems and seeds if you want. At this point add them to a food processor, save about 1/4 a cup of the water you used to rehydrate them and add this to the food processor as well.

From this point you can add what ever you want to make a good marinate, garlic, honey, tomato sauce, catsup, mustard anything really that will help compliment the sauce even balsamic vinegar to add complexity to the marinade, blend it all together and you have a nice spicy marinade. You can use this same process to make salsa and things like that too.

I hope this helps out :)

Andy M. said:
The canned in adobo isn't a poorer quality just because it's canned. It's a different style of chipotle. They have different applications. The canned ones don't have to be rehydrated, they're ready to go.

You can buy fresh tomatos or tomatos in a can. Both can be top quality. They just have different applications.

could you just blend the can and put the mixture maybe as a base for enchilada saucee?

Back
Top Bottom