Chipotle with Chicken and Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
hey there, i got ahold of some of the real chipotles, the ones that are tan/gray.

chipotwhole_150.jpg

never used these, but i want to incorporate them into my baked chicken + spanish rice meal.

How would i incorporate these into my recipe?

the rice is basmati rice which i toast and simmer with spanish seasonings.

the chicken i bake at 400 degrees until tender.

i serve with heated corn tortillas.

You can rehydrate one chipotle and take off the stem (and seeds if you like), chop it up and toss it into the rice mix so they cook together.

They're pretty potent. One pepper is a good start.

You can make a marinade with the chipotle and the Spanish seasonings you will be using for the rice. Use a combination of olive oil and an acidic ingredient such as citrus juice, wine.

Been wondering, how is chipotle pronounced, may I ask? Chee-po-tel or chee-pot-lay or some other way? Thanks!

Andy M. said:
You can make a marinade with the chipotle and the Spanish seasonings you will be using for the rice. Use a combination of olive oil and an acidic ingredient such as citrus juice, wine.

i meant how should i prepare the chipotle for the marinade.

rehydrate it then chop it?

Chopstix said:
Been wondering, how is chipotle pronounced, may I ask? Chee-po-tel or chee-pot-lay or some other way? Thanks!

chee-pot-lay - with a long "o" in the middle. -pot- rhymes with boat.

Chopstix said:

The word in the original nahuatl language was "chilpotle"; chil = chile, or hot pepper, poctl (potle) = smoke. Chilpotles are jalapeño peppers smoked for about 3 days in underground pits; there are other smoked chiles available, I believe, but the meaty texture of the jalapeño makes it particularly good for this process.
Chilpotle is a little difficult to get one's tongue around, so the word got simplified in Spanish and English.
Most Spanish words of three syllables have an accent on the second syllable, and all vowel sounds are short.

Thanks cliveb for the info! I tasted chipotle at a Subway sandwich outlet in Philadelphia last year. I thought it was a particular species of peppers. Turns out it refers to a smoking method and that jalapeno is the popular choice for this technique. Thanks!

Last year, I made a post about making some Chipotles at home in my smoker. I only smoked them for about 2 hours, and they were great. I may have to make some more this year.

I've also thought about smoking other kinds of peppers and incorporating those into some food. Anchoes, smoked, and used in my chili, for example.

A Mexican friend of mine tells me they dig two pits in the ground. In the first, they start the fire. In the second, they place the jalapeños.
There's a connecting tunnel between the fire and the jalapeños. The fire is covered with a lump of turf, so the only way out for the smoke ( and way in for the oxygen) is through the jalapeño tunnel.
3 days, apparently, until the chilpotle is ready.

I think I'll just buy mine ready-smoked!

cliveb, do you guys have those inferior versions of chipotles down there? the moritas i think they are called?

or do you only get the good kind?

also, can you tell a big difference?

Mylegsbig said:
cliveb, do you guys have those inferior versions of chipotles down there? the moritas i think they are called?

or do you only get the good kind?

also, can you tell a big difference?

That is a good question.I really couldn't give you an honest answer unless I were a politician:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: !

I was given some authentic chilpotles by a Mexican friend. They're awesome. Too many tastebuds were tickled to describe the flavour- except, awesome.

For daily use , I buy cans of "La Costeña" Chipoltes en adobo. These are prepared in a thick, tomato-ey sauce (adobo), and are wonderfully smokey, but whether they rate as the real thing, I don't know.

I'd probably fail any taste-test miserably!

Chipotles are generally available in two forms-dry and canned in adobo. I'd bet more are sold canned than dry. I don't think one is more 'authentic" than the other.

Andy M. said:
Chipotles are generally available in two forms-dry and canned in adobo. I'd bet more are sold canned than dry. I don't think one is more 'authentic" than the other.

Andy, these chipotles here, the morita

morita.jpg

Are considered inferior to these chipotles here, the ahumado

ahumado.jpg

Because the former are smoked faster and without as much care.

That is why this ahumado is considered the authentic version.

MLB:

Interesting. The ahumados could be sold dry or in adobo sauce in a can. Or the same with the moritas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom