Christmas Goose - any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipedirect

Senior Cook
A friend of ours gave us a goose to cook for Christmas. I have cooked wild duck and I know how precarious that can be, a little overcooked and ruined. I need a good recipe and instructions.

Liz

The recipe for wild geese is quite different than that for domestic. If it's a wild one see if you can locate a copy of Angus Cameron's & Judith Jones' "The L.L.Bean Game & Fish Cookbook" I like the wild roast goose with apricot and apple stuffing. If it's a wild one with a dressed weight of more than 5 or so pounds it's more of a candidate for braising than roasting.
For domestic geese, roast at 325 F for 15 - 20 min per pound on a rack in a pan with 3/8" water, 1 diced medium onion & 6 - 12 peppercorns.
When water has boiled down (after about 3 hours) baste / paint with melted butter to brown skin.
Gravy can be made by adding two or three tablespoons of flour and then some two cups of water to the pan drippings and cooking until the desired consistency is achieved..

It is a wild goose. I think you are right about the braising. I was given 12 wild duck breasts also. I sauteed two of them and made a blueberry reduction. That was really good. I gave two breasts to my son who braised them using apple juice. He was happy with the results. I will look for the cookbook, apple and apricot stuffing sounds great.
My main meal is always Christmas Eve and I almost aways do a Standing Rib Roast. I usually don't even cook for Christmas but my huband wants THE CHRISTMAS GOOSE.

Depending on the variety of duck, I think you'll find the taste of the goose to compare favorably. I too would like to have goose for Christmas. Most of the ducks up here are 'neither fish nor fowl'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom