"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Cindi if I'm ever way, way up in your neck of the woods, I'd be happy to snag 3 or 2 pieces of that chicken!! What do your serve with it? Tator salad?

We usually have Mashed Potato Salad, or Microwave Baked Potatoes with Butter, Sour Cream and Chives, or If I'm feelin' lazy, Festival Foods Yellow Mustard Potato Salad. It tastes so much like my daughter's Amish Potato Salad. Both tastes sooo good!!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Oops! Sorry about the double post, so I'm deleting this!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

Cindi, as a gal who never grilled in my "previous life", I felt like you then.

Nothing scares me in my new life, certainly not grilling, and I enjoy it more than I can say. I like my alone time with my book, music and glass of wine. Bliss.
You really should try it sometime.
I've never found a store barbecue sauce I like, and don't care for sweet sauce, so I make my own and it's delicious to us.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Head Chef

What's bbq chicken without the unhealthy fatty skin?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #15
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Goddess View Post
"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."

Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken

About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks)
salt, sprinkle on desired amount
black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount
1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)

Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.

Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.

Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes.

Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy!

*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great!

WOW! This sounds just like the recipe that I kind of followed from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Women. Oven baked chicken thighs, skin on-bone in, homemade BBQ sauce.
Click image for larger version

Name:	baked bbq chicken.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	25077

Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	25078
[our Independence Day Supper]

I also agree with others, store-bought-jarred-BBQ-sauce is way too sweet and kind of flat tasting, to me anyways, not to mention I'd rather KNOW what I'm eating, no funny stuff; I'd much rather make my own sauce... and I do prefer skin-on bone-in thighs, much more juicy and flavorful, IMHO, and my homemade sauce sticks to my thighs just fine with every bite.
The sauce that I made was uber-easy and THICK! Not hard to do, it was even a on-cook sauce!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Cindi, as a gal who never grilled in my "previous life", I felt like you then.

Nothing scares me in my new life, certainly not grilling, and I enjoy it more than I can say. I like my alone time with my book, music and glass of wine. Bliss.
You really should try it sometime.
I've never found a store barbecue sauce I like, and don't care for sweet sauce, so I make my own and it's delicious to us.
Kayelle, the first time I'd tried grilling, is when he had a Webster Charcoal Grill, and I couldn't get the coals lit. I didn't want to waste the lighter fluid, so I gave up. We've now had a gas grill for years, and I'm so afraid of getting burned. Having my husband do the grilling while I get the other foods together and on the table, works out great for us. His grilling also gives me a break from cooking, and I like that.

Kayelle, would you mind sharing your barbecue sauce recipe, unless you've already posted it on this site?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
What's bbq chicken without the unhealthy fatty skin?
Carlson, I guess I'll never know, as I prefer the unhealthy fatty skin on either deep fried, or already seasoned, floured coated, oven baked chicken.

But... if anyone ever offers me barbecued chicken with the skin on, I certainly won't pass it up.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
We've now had a gas grill for years, and I'm so afraid of getting burned. Having my husband do the grilling while I get the other foods together and on the table, works out great for us. His grilling also gives me a break from cooking, and I like that.
Getting burned? How?
I've found that grilling outdoors is the easy part. You may want to rethink getting the meal on the table, and reversing the roles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Getting burned? How?
I've found that grilling outdoors is the easy part. You may want to rethink getting the meal on the table, and reversing the roles.
Agreed K!
I LOVE cooking outdoors, it's much cooler (especially in the summer, I hate being in the kitchen, WAY too hot there), more relaxing, less fuss, muss
and not to mention clean-up
DG, you might want to take a look at You Tube for some great pointers to get you back out there. A gas grill is easy-peasy, IMHO anyways.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 AM   #20
Head Chef

Cindi, here's a starter for you

EASY!

Tags
chicken, oven, recipe

Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken [SIZE=3]"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."[/SIZE] [SIZE=3][IMG]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-92stmkJOoGY/VWdt5wIrBiI/AAAAAAAAN10/lrrzMhbGUoc/s350/001.JPG[/IMG][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]salt, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Heat oven to 350 degrees.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy![/SIZE] [SIZE=3]*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great![/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews