Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craig always does our BBQing and smoking, but I'll start the grill on rare occasions when he's going to be late just to get things going, especially if we are doing something like pizza.

My favorite BBQ sauce is Tom's Mild. It's middle of the road, has a bit of ketchup, a bit of mustard, is sweet/tart and is middle of the road thick/thin. I'm sorry but Sweet Baby Ray's is just a huge NO for me. We tried it once and I think the bottle migrated to the back of the fridge and sat there for over a year before it finally got thrown away.

They have these things called chimneys that you use to light charcoal now. NO MORE lighter fluid! so no chance of getting burned. Just crumpled newspaper, coals and matches or a lighter pen to light the newspaper.

Gas grills aren't much different than cooking on gas ranges. You definitely don't need to worry about getting burned.

Charcoal grills won't burn you either. And they give you better flavor than gas but they are more work.

I have both and cook on them all summer long.

NO LIGHTER FLUID!! Use a charcoal chimney and keep all the coals on one side so you can control the heat better.

Doneness is easily determined with a meat thermometer (which is essential to a kitchen anyway:))

Brine your chicken for a few hours, dry thoroughly, then grill to near done. Have your bbq sauce in a shallow pan. Coat both sides of the chicken with the sauce and put them back on the grill. Cook both sides briefly then repeat with the sauce. Cook till the sauce darkens and the chicken is cooked to temp.

Easy peasy!

I don't know how long Tumbleweeds have been on the market, but I like them for starting a "Snake" or modified snake. I spent time stacking the coals for the "snake" and these allow starting with out dumping coals from a chimney, disturbing my carefully stacked coals. Tumbleweeds are paraffin coated, straw bundles.

Cindi, here's another video on how to use a Charcoal Grill without Lighter Fluid, super easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTIxpNkbHg

I've used both
little weber charcoal grill.jpg

gas grill with teri chicken sticks.jpg

The skin isn't crispy, most of the bbq sauce is cooked off on the grill, and I also worry if the chicken is undercooked, where as when the chicken is baked in the oven for an hour, I never have to worry about it not being cooked through.

A couple suggestions if you decide you'd like to try grilling:
- Open the lid before starting the gas grill.
- Set the burners on high, close the lid, and let the flames burn off any residue.
- Scrape the grates with a grill brush.
- Turn the burners to medium low to cook the chicken. Don't put the sauce on yet.
- Put the chicken on skin-side down. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Turn and cook another 15 minutes.
- Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Dark chicken meat is done at 155°F.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with extra sauce at the table.

Hope this helps.

My go-to method for starting my trhe charcoal in my Webber kettle is to drumple up old newspaper advertising paper (not the glossy stuff), and place it under the charcoal grid. I then soak all but a little piece with used cooking oil. I place the charcoal grid, load with whatever charcoal configuration I want, with the oil-soaked paper underneath, and light the un-soaked paper corner. The oil-soaked paper burns long enough to easily, and quickly ignite the charcoal. By the time I'm ready to start placing the food on the cooking grill, the charcoal is hot. Plus, I've not had to dump used cooking oil down the drain, or throw it into a garbage container. Bonus - no petroleum taste.

Seeeeay; Chief Longwind of the North

Cindi, here's a starter for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLEY4dL4kjc

EASY!

Kaneohegirllinaz, I watched the video, and while it's an easy to do recipe, the chicken prepared on the grill takes 1 hour and 30 minutes, while mine only takes 1 hour. Also, visually... the chicken done on the grill, the skin looks burnt, while mine does not. I had noticed after the chicken was completely done being grilled, it also looked dried-out at the end, where as mine is not, and I think that's also because I used dark meat and only baked the chicken at 350º for the entire hour. As for me, I'll probably just stick to preparing barbecued chicken in the oven as I've always done, but... I will show this video to my husband and see if he's interested in grilling chicken this way.

Anyhoo Kaneohegirllinaz, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post the video, I do appreciate it!

Also, thank you for posting the other videos. I'll be sure to view them when I have more time.

Last edited:
A couple suggestions if you decide you'd like to try grilling:
- Open the lid before starting the gas grill.
- Set the burners on high, close the lid, and let the flames burn off any residue.
- Scrape the grates with a grill brush.
- Turn the burners to medium low to cook the chicken. Don't put the sauce on yet.
- Put the chicken on skin-side down. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Turn and cook another 15 minutes.
- Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Dark chicken meat is done at 155°F.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with extra sauce at the table.

Hope this helps.

GotGarlic, thank you for those helpful tips. I appreciate it!

My favorite BBQ sauce is Tom's Mild. It's middle of the road, has a bit of ketchup, a bit of mustard, is sweet/tart and is middle of the road thick/thin. I'm sorry but Sweet Baby Ray's is just a huge NO for me. We tried it once and I think the bottle migrated to the back of the fridge and sat there for over a year before it finally got thrown away.

medtran49, the brand of BBQ sauce you like (Tom's Mild), I've never heard of, and I don't think it's sold where I live. While our family loves Sweet Baby Ray's, I also like Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece as well. We usually buy whatever is on sale and nice and thick. One BBQ sauce I will not buy, is... Open Pit, and not even if it's on sale, as it's too runny.

Craig, you might be surprised how much smoky flavor you can get from using smoked paprika or chipotle powder in a barbecue rub or sauce. I've made ribs in the oven with smoked paprika and DH wanted to know how they got that great flavor :yum: That was before we got our smoker.

And Rick - she's using legs and thighs not breasts. I love chicken skin, too, but sometimes a change of pace is nice. Baking the sauce directly on the meat this way would make a nicely lacquered surface.

Got Garlic, I'll have to ask my daughter when she or her husband grills out, if they apply a rub to their meats. I'm sure they have. Also, if they do, let them know your tip about using smoked paprika or chipotle powder, and not only on the meat, but also in the bbq sauce. I bet that would be good in the sauce! I know I have an unopened bottle of smoked paprika in my cupboard.

Like you... my daughter also has a smoker, and uses it a lot. She makes "the best" smoked salmon and smoked baked beans. The beans are especially to die for!

Last edited:
Kaneohegirlinaz, Thank you for posting this. The chicken looks delicious! I still prefer my BBQ Chicken with out the skin.

great BBQ chicken is ridiculously easy on the Weber Charcoal Kettle grill. I simply start my charcoal in a solid bed and let it get hot. I dry my chicken pieces with paper towers, then rub with butter, and season with granulated garlic, salt,pepper, and granulated onion. I sometimes sprinkle on some rosemary as we.. Place the chicken on the grill and cofer with the lid, with all vents half open. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the chicken. Put lid back on and cook another 5 minutes. Remove lid and brush on sauce, all over the chicken. Replace lid and cook another 4 minutes. The sauce sugars will not be burnt, the chicken is very juicy, and well flavored, and tender.
Test chicken with a meat thermometer. It should read 155' or so.. Remove chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes. serve.

Sauces:
4 oz. tomato paste
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp. mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs. chilin powder
1/2 tsp yellow mustard
3 tbs. water
Mix all ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

Sauce 2
1/2 cup buckwheat, or orange honey
2 to 3 tbs. yellow mustard
2 tbs chicken broth

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north
Stir together

Kaneohegirlinaz, Thank you for posting this. The chicken looks delicious! I still prefer my BBQ Chicken with out the skin.

Cindi, another style of BBQ Chicken you could try is Teriyaki Chicken on the grill. I make this often; I too use B/S Chicken, thighs :yum:
I use my propane Weber grill and it only takes about 15 minutes
at the most.

IMG_4733.jpg

I serve it with steamed White Rice and my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (kimchi, which ever) a very local-style meal (reads from Hawaii).

Cindi, another style of BBQ Chicken you could try is Teriyaki Chicken on the grill. I make this often; I too use B/S Chicken, thighs :yum:
I use my propane Weber grill and it only takes about 15 minutes
at the most.

View attachment 44973

I serve it with steamed White Rice and my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (kimchi, which ever) a very local-style meal (reads from Hawaii).

+1Tryakin chicken is great. Another great way to prepare chicken on the grill is to slice the chicken into thin strips, marinade it in your favorite marinade, and weave the chicken strips onto bamboo skewers.. You can prepare skewered veggies to go with the chicken. You can also cook the chicken simply seaned, then glazed. chicken prepared in this fashion was common street food in Sian countries I visited, and was yummy. I have to think this would be common in Polynesian cuisine as well. It works great with pork, and beef as well:D.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northg

+1Tryakin chicken is great. Another great way to prepare chicken on the grill is to slice the chicken into thin strips, marinade it in your favorite marinade, and weave the chicken strips onto bamboo skewers.. You can prepare skewered veggies to go with the chicken. You can also cook the chicken simply seaned, then glazed. chicken prepared in this fashion was common street food in Sian countries I visited, and was yummy. I have to think this would be common in Polynesian cuisine as well. It works great with pork, and beef as well:D.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northg

YUM!

teri chicken skewers1.jpg

teri chicken skewers.jpg

I make these often for parties! They're a HUGE hit!

teri chicken.jpg

Ooh, and grilled fruits too, like Pineapple with the Teriyaki Chicken!!!
I never tried this until about a year and a half ago!!! :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom