"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Head Chef

Craig always does our BBQing and smoking, but I'll start the grill on rare occasions when he's going to be late just to get things going, especially if we are doing something like pizza.

My favorite BBQ sauce is Tom's Mild. It's middle of the road, has a bit of ketchup, a bit of mustard, is sweet/tart and is middle of the road thick/thin. I'm sorry but Sweet Baby Ray's is just a huge NO for me. We tried it once and I think the bottle migrated to the back of the fridge and sat there for over a year before it finally got thrown away.

They have these things called chimneys that you use to light charcoal now. NO MORE lighter fluid! so no chance of getting burned. Just crumpled newspaper, coals and matches or a lighter pen to light the newspaper.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #22
Master Chef

Gas grills aren't much different than cooking on gas ranges. You definitely don't need to worry about getting burned.

Charcoal grills won't burn you either. And they give you better flavor than gas but they are more work.

I have both and cook on them all summer long.

NO LIGHTER FLUID!! Use a charcoal chimney and keep all the coals on one side so you can control the heat better.

Doneness is easily determined with a meat thermometer (which is essential to a kitchen anyway)

Brine your chicken for a few hours, dry thoroughly, then grill to near done. Have your bbq sauce in a shallow pan. Coat both sides of the chicken with the sauce and put them back on the grill. Cook both sides briefly then repeat with the sauce. Cook till the sauce darkens and the chicken is cooked to temp.

Easy peasy!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I don't know how long Tumbleweeds have been on the market, but I like them for starting a "Snake" or modified snake. I spent time stacking the coals for the "snake" and these allow starting with out dumping coals from a chimney, disturbing my carefully stacked coals. Tumbleweeds are paraffin coated, straw bundles.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Cindi, here's a starter for you

EASY!
Good video find Kgirl!

Yep, it just doesn't get easier than that, and lots of alone "chair time" with the book, music, and wine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #25
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Cindi, here's another video on how to use a Charcoal Grill without Lighter Fluid, super easy!

I've used both
Click image for larger version

Name:	little weber charcoal grill.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	25085

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas grill with teri chicken sticks.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	25086
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Goddess View Post
The skin isn't crispy, most of the bbq sauce is cooked off on the grill, and I also worry if the chicken is undercooked, where as when the chicken is baked in the oven for an hour, I never have to worry about it not being cooked through.
A couple suggestions if you decide you'd like to try grilling:
- Open the lid before starting the gas grill.
- Set the burners on high, close the lid, and let the flames burn off any residue.
- Scrape the grates with a grill brush.
- Turn the burners to medium low to cook the chicken. Don't put the sauce on yet.
- Put the chicken on skin-side down. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Turn and cook another 15 minutes.
- Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Dark chicken meat is done at 155°F.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with extra sauce at the table.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #27
Head Chef

I'm a visual type a gal, I like to watch videos of how-to
Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post

I'm a visual type a gal, I like to watch videos of how-to
Some are visual, some are verbal. Some, like me, like to have a checklist for certain things. Now she has a choice
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Some are visual, some are verbal. Some, like me, like to have a checklist for certain things. Now she has a choice

... and btw, where is Cindi?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
Master Chef

My go-to method for starting my trhe charcoal in my Webber kettle is to drumple up old newspaper advertising paper (not the glossy stuff), and place it under the charcoal grid. I then soak all but a little piece with used cooking oil. I place the charcoal grid, load with whatever charcoal configuration I want, with the oil-soaked paper underneath, and light the un-soaked paper corner. The oil-soaked paper burns long enough to easily, and quickly ignite the charcoal. By the time I'm ready to start placing the food on the cooking grill, the charcoal is hot. Plus, I've not had to dump used cooking oil down the drain, or throw it into a garbage container. Bonus - no petroleum taste.

Seeeeay; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, oven, recipe

Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken [SIZE=3]"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."[/SIZE] [SIZE=3][IMG]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-92stmkJOoGY/VWdt5wIrBiI/AAAAAAAAN10/lrrzMhbGUoc/s350/001.JPG[/IMG][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]salt, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Heat oven to 350 degrees.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy![/SIZE] [SIZE=3]*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great![/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews