"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Cindi, here's a starter for you

EASY!
Kaneohegirllinaz, I watched the video, and while it's an easy to do recipe, the chicken prepared on the grill takes 1 hour and 30 minutes, while mine only takes 1 hour. Also, visually... the chicken done on the grill, the skin looks burnt, while mine does not. I had noticed after the chicken was completely done being grilled, it also looked dried-out at the end, where as mine is not, and I think that's also because I used dark meat and only baked the chicken at 350 for the entire hour. As for me, I'll probably just stick to preparing barbecued chicken in the oven as I've always done, but... I will show this video to my husband and see if he's interested in grilling chicken this way.

Anyhoo Kaneohegirllinaz, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post the video, I do appreciate it!

Also, thank you for posting the other videos. I'll be sure to view them when I have more time.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A couple suggestions if you decide you'd like to try grilling:
- Open the lid before starting the gas grill.
- Set the burners on high, close the lid, and let the flames burn off any residue.
- Scrape the grates with a grill brush.
- Turn the burners to medium low to cook the chicken. Don't put the sauce on yet.
- Put the chicken on skin-side down. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Turn and cook another 15 minutes.
- Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Dark chicken meat is done at 155F.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with extra sauce at the table.

Hope this helps.
GotGarlic, thank you for those helpful tips. I appreciate it!

Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
My favorite BBQ sauce is Tom's Mild. It's middle of the road, has a bit of ketchup, a bit of mustard, is sweet/tart and is middle of the road thick/thin. I'm sorry but Sweet Baby Ray's is just a huge NO for me. We tried it once and I think the bottle migrated to the back of the fridge and sat there for over a year before it finally got thrown away.
medtran49, the brand of BBQ sauce you like (Tom's Mild), I've never heard of, and I don't think it's sold where I live. While our family loves Sweet Baby Ray's, I also like Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece as well. We usually buy whatever is on sale and nice and thick. One BBQ sauce I will not buy, is... Open Pit, and not even if it's on sale, as it's too runny.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Craig, you might be surprised how much smoky flavor you can get from using smoked paprika or chipotle powder in a barbecue rub or sauce. I've made ribs in the oven with smoked paprika and DH wanted to know how they got that great flavor That was before we got our smoker.

And Rick - she's using legs and thighs not breasts. I love chicken skin, too, but sometimes a change of pace is nice. Baking the sauce directly on the meat this way would make a nicely lacquered surface.
Got Garlic, I'll have to ask my daughter when she or her husband grills out, if they apply a rub to their meats. I'm sure they have. Also, if they do, let them know your tip about using smoked paprika or chipotle powder, and not only on the meat, but also in the bbq sauce. I bet that would be good in the sauce! I know I have an unopened bottle of smoked paprika in my cupboard.

Like you... my daughter also has a smoker, and uses it a lot. She makes "the best" smoked salmon and smoked baked beans. The beans are especially to die for!

Tags
chicken, oven, recipe

Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken [SIZE=3]"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."[/SIZE] [SIZE=3][IMG]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-92stmkJOoGY/VWdt5wIrBiI/AAAAAAAAN10/lrrzMhbGUoc/s350/001.JPG[/IMG][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]salt, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.) [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Heat oven to 350 degrees.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes. [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy![/SIZE] [SIZE=3]*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great![/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews