Clarification on covered, crispy, southern fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
A little while back in a post about fried chicken, I said we covered our chicken when frying and that it is very crispy. I have forgotten who, but they said covering chicken would make it soggy. We just finished eating a tender, crispy fried chicken dinner and I watched my wife cover it while frying. We timed it and used a meat thermometer, as usual. However, there is a big difference in our method. The pan. It's a teflon, three and a half inch deep, chicken fryer with, drum roll please, a vented cover. I failed, miserably, to include that in my post. This has taught me that when making comparisons or giving a recipe, include everything you do and use. It can make a big differance.

aha!! If one doesn't vent, and the steam is trapped, it could make it soggy. I was motivated by that thread to make some southern fried chicken...mmmm!

aha!! If one doesn't vent, and the steam is trapped, it could make it soggy. I was motivated by that thread to make some southern fried chicken...mmmm!
And the rest of the story.....while eating I said " So much for soggy, coverd fried chicken", to which my darling wife said, "It would be if the cover wasn't vented", which led to light bulbs going off in my head and the rest is history.

Back
Top Bottom