"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A frozen turkey is maybe 0F while the water coming out of the tap is no less than 32F and probably closer to 40F (assuming the water in Quebec comes out of the faucet in liquid form ). It's that difference that does the defrosting.
I'm imagining crushed ice coming from the tap in Canada

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Tough on the pipes.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
A frozen turkey is maybe 0F while the water coming out of the tap is no less than 32F and probably closer to 40F (assuming the water in Quebec comes out of the faucet in liquid form ). It's that difference that does the defrosting.
I don't think it's close to 40F. It seems as cold as ice water. I've tried in the past - a glass of ice water and winter tap water and they feel the same. If I had thermometer that measured in the right temperature range and was immersible, I would go measure it now.

Actually, now that I think about it. I have cold water defrosted stuff, and the water doesn't feel as cold as the tap water. I think it's because it is being warmed by the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
It certainly feels that cold.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Tough on the pipes.
Some years we have to put salt down the drain.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Some years we have to put salt down the drain.
When I was a kid we used to leave the kitchen cabinet doors, under the sink, open to prevent the pipes from freezing. If it was colder than that we left the cold water tap running a trickle all night to prevent the pipes from freezing, don't miss those days at all!

I have thawed turkeys overnight in the kitchen sink with a big fluffy towel folded over them. I just scrub the sink, leave the turkey in its original wrapper, fill the sink with cold water and cover with the towel. In the morning they are thawed, but still cold enough to have a little ice in the cavity.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I don't think it's close to 40F. It seems as cold as ice water. I've tried in the past - a glass of ice water and winter tap water and they feel the same. If I had thermometer that measured in the right temperature range and was immersible, I would go measure it now...
Your water pipes are deep enough underground so the water doesn't freeze on the way to your sink. At that depth, the soil temp doesn't change all that much.

Regardless of actual temps, it's the difference in temperatures between the frozen food and the surrounding water that defrosts the food. The greater the temp difference, the faster the thawing.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When I was a kid we used to leave the kitchen cabinet doors, under the sink, open to prevent the pipes from freezing. If it was colder than that we left the cold water tap running a trickle all night to prevent the pipes from freezing, don't miss those days at all! ...
Oh yeah, the cupboard doors. When it gets really cold for a while, we do that. We have even put a tarp over the edge of the counter, with the doors open, to direct the heat under the sink. We have baseboard heaters right below the cupboard doors.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Your water pipes are deep enough underground so the water doesn't freeze on the way to your sink. At that depth, the soil temp doesn't change all that much.

Regardless of actual temps, it's the difference in temperatures between the frozen food and the surrounding water that defrosts the food. The greater the temp difference, the faster the thawing.
Oh, I agree. As I mentioned, I have cold water defrosted stuff in winter. It just seems that the water coming out of my tap is colder than the defrosting water. Without the right kind of thermometer, I can't say for sure. I do stir the water with my hand. I figure the water near the defrosting item is colder than the rest of the water. The water is slowly being heated by the air, at the same time as it is being chilled by the defrosting item. I don't doubt that running the water works well in other climates.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sorry, I'm being a smartarse, but I don't think that holds true in Quebec in winter. That water comes out of the tap awfully cold and gets colder after it has run for a bit.
I was thinking the same thing. Here in Boston it has always confused me as to when you really want a nice ice cold drink from the faucet, the water is warm in the summer and ice cold in the winter. You need to run both hot and cold until you get a tepid temperature.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #20
Cook

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm just panicking as it's my 1st time doing the meal. The turkey is sitting in the conservatory to defrost. Its as cold as the fridge. So wondered if cold thawing actuallys works. Quicker. I took it out last night 23rd, and its a 4k bird. So fingers crossed it should be. If not a late dinner

Tags
other, turkey, water, whole turkey