"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

College Student - Need Help!

Hello!!

So I am in need of help. I know nothing about cooking. All I know is I'm one poor college student with next to no time on his hands. My mother gave me a slow cooker, but because she works in Russia it is hard to get a hold of her. I figure that I will use this slow cooker for a lot so I can start it, get to classes and then do homework all while the food is cooking.

I currently have two thawed chicken breasts, asparagus, broccoli, and a lot of red potatoes.

Does anyone know of anything I can do with these?!? I can pick up a few cheap things at a store if needed but my budget is very small!

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, cooking makes about as much sense to me as nuclear physics (I'm a Secondary Education Major) so ANY help is loved.

Thank You!
MJ

Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Is the slow cooker the only cooking appliance/vessel you have? How about a refrigerator for left overs? A frying pan? Maybe a pot to boil water? We've had several kids go away to college and I can't remember one of them going with a slow cooker. I'm sure some one will come up with some ideas.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I do have a refrigerator and a frying pan/skillet. I live in a house with three roommates so we are decently set up. I just figured the slow cooker would allow me to set it before I go into my class and be able to come home, eat, and tackle my hours and hours of school work! College is tough :(
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oh my gosh, good for you! So many college students get fast food when things get so busy. I would suggest you get a slow cooker cook book and start trying the recipes. Don't forget the liners to make clean-up easier. Most slow cooker recipes are simple, and you end up with a great result. Your friends and roommates will all want you cooking for them soon.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I just thought of something else. If you have an iPhone (so many do) there is an app called big oven that you can put in three ingredients and get different recipes. Just a thought. :). I think the big thing is to have fun! :D
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+ 1 to Chopper's suggestions. Welcome to DC!

Put everything (cut up the veggies and potatoes) in the CP(crockpot), sprinkle with S&P (salt and pepper), and pour over a can of cream of something soup, like mushroom, celery, chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours or so, don't let it dry out.

Check out the slow cooker thread!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I googled 3-5 ingredient slowcooker meals and came up with quite a few. There is also a couple of websites related to 365 days of crockpot cooking where I found a few simple ones, you just have to weed through them. I cant vouch for their taste but Im sure they are edible!
I agree with dawgluver, I was just going to suggest a "cream of something"
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ54 View Post
Hello!!

I currently have two thawed chicken breasts, asparagus, broccoli, and a lot of red potatoes.

Does anyone know of anything I can do with these?!? I can pick up a few cheap things at a store if needed but my budget is very small!
Thank You!
MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+ 1 to Chopper's suggestions. Welcome to DC!

Put everything (cut up the veggies and potatoes) in the CP, sprinkle with S&P, and pour over a can of cream of something soup, like mushroom, celery, chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours or so, don't let it dry out.

Check out the slow cooker thread!
+1

With those ingredients I'd suggest cream of celery, broccoli, or chicken.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Change your major to Culinary Arts and you'll never have to worry about where your next meal is coming from.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef
Change your major to Culinary Arts and you'll never have to worry about where your next meal is coming from.
LOL

Tags
asparagus, chicken breasts, other, red potatoes