"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 AM   #11
Head Chef

I'll definately take a back seat to you guys, and many others here, for cooking knowledge, but I'll happily join as a determined student who also gleans more info every time I log in!

I've been intrigued by injection methods and wondered of the results as compared to brining. Interesting info there, Goodweed. This is yet another thing I will try in the future and see for myself, but brining yielded such profound improvements, I know it will remain in the repertoire of techniques.

Smoking is something I dream of! I haven't a smoker yet, and am tossing over the merits of the different types available and their related limitations and specializations, but one is in my very near future. So far, my smoking has been limited to salmon and other fish vis a vis an aluminum foil packet placed over the coals in my grill. All that has done is to whet my appetite for a "real smoker" that I can tantalize my neighbors with for hours at a time! So rest assured that I have copied and saved every morsel of information and exchanges you two, Rainee, and others have offered in this forum on the subject!

By the by, I am happy to boast that BBQ'ing is a year-round event here in the great self-professed Nation of Texas! Tis not necessary to shovel a trench, for which I am enormously gratefull! Having lived enough in northern climes, I much prefer to watch snow fall on the TV or my desktop...not in my backyard!

LOL, Goodweed! Your stories are the fodder for family legends in many generations to come!!!

Old 10-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #12

Goodweed's tale reminds me of another event in a past and distant life, when there were just three of us! Three against thousands!

Toughest three we ever fought...

Lifter

Old 11-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Last year I waited until just before Thanksgiving to buy the turkey and the smallest I could find was a 20 pounder. I bought this year's turkey last month because I wanted to get one small enough to brine without taking up too much room in the refer. It's a 14 pounder, and will fit in the brining container I bought for the first turkey.

Tags
None