Cooking 2 Birds at the same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvolk

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

Quick question - I'm preparing 2 turkeys for Christmas - 2 reasons...

1) Couldn't find one bird big enough for us all
2) I intend to dry salt one of them and I have some family who have high blood pressure and require little / no salt.

I know what I need to do for prep but here's my question - how will cooking 2 birds at once impact cook time, temperature, etc.? I intend to cook them both side by side - my oven is standard size. It will be tight but I think they will fit. They are about 13 / 14 lbs each.

Normally I would cook one for about 3 hours at 375, give or take. Any suggestions? Is this a totally bad idea for some reason?

Thanks!

There should be an inch of open space on all sides of the oven shelf to allow the heat to circulate so the turkeys will cook properly. Other than that, the cooking time should be just about the same as with one turkey.

If you have a convection oven, I'd recommend using the convection feature to ensure heat circulation.

Thanks for the tip! Suppose I get them in there and decide there isn't enough room...any recommendations? If I prepare one ahead...what is the best way to reheat it without drying it out?

Can you use smaller pans? How about getting a couple of smaller disposable aluminum pans that will fit better?

I cooked two birds last year. If you don't have convection...actually even if you do you should rotate the pans and switch sides every so often.

They'll keep warm under foil and a bunch of kitchen towels after you remove them from the oven if your dinner hasn't timed out.

If tou need to reheat for later: Slice, bring to room temp, and warm with a gravy or jus to keep from overcooking. You can gently add the meat to sommering jus in a pan, just be very careful not to overcook.

Ok, great ideas.

Regarding the two pans - yes, I actually bought two cheap disposables that are a little flexible. I intend to bend the sides a bit to make more room - it is actually the pans that might be the problem, not the birds themselves.

Also - thanks about the rotating - I'll be sure to do that.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom