Cooking a turkey in a huge slow cooker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockYourWorld

Assistant Cook
This is my first year having thanksgiving at our house and I am brining my turkey using Alton Brown's recipe from the foodnetwork. It comes highly recommended by some friends and the reviews on their website speak volumes!

Anyway, I bought a huge slow cooker that I want to use, but I don't know if it will work. According to Alton's recipe, I am going to bake the turkey at 500* for 30 minutes and then I plan on transfering the bird to my slow cooker. I've read what you all have to say about baking uncovered, but in a slow cooker, that wouldn't work. Should I cook it with the lid on, or make a lid of tin foil? I was really excited :chef: to use the slow cooker (which goes up to 450*, so technically it's probably not really a slow cooker, but that's what it looks like), because it will free up the oven for cooking the rolls and yams. Do you have any ideas???

I have used one of those 18 qt. roasters by Nesco or Rival and they work like a huge slow-cooker, depending what temp you set it to. It will work; yes, use the lid on it. Just make sure that you set the temp so that it isn't too low.

Did you brine your turkey?

When you used your big slow cooker, did you brine the turkey?
Should I set the slow cooker at the recommended temperature in the recipe?
thanks for your reply! I can't wait to knock the socks off of the inlaws with my tasty turkey!:rolleyes:

Sometimes I brined it and other times I didn't; just used a rub. Yes, do use the settings in the recipe and also the timing for the weight of your bird. Good luck and it should turn out very good using Alton's recipe!!!

Back
Top Bottom