Cooking Half Chickens...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

md8

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am running a little pub in the country cooking homemade food. Most of our food is prepared in advance, vacum packed and frozen by us. We use all this within 14 days.

We have had several requests for Half chicken and chips. My question is as follows:

If we cook those chicken halves about 450grams, then let them cool, vacum pack, then freeze, what would be the quickest but still safe to eat reheating technique? We aim to get food out within 25mins! These will probably be in a sauce e.g BBQ Suace.

A couple of options we have thought about are: Microwave until 82 degrees celsius test using probe,
Leave in vacum pack and use a water bath to heat upto 82 degrees.

We have spoken to a supplier who sell frozen cooked chicken halves, but they say to cook in oven for 45-50 mintues.

As long as the temperature inside is hot enough 83 degrees, is this not sufficient.

Any advice would be appriciated.

We are cooks not chefs as we only cook pub grub!

Welcome to the site. Please note, the titles under our names are not real based on professional standing. Members are assigned different titles based on the number of posts made.

Is the Microwave your only option for reheating? The problems with reheating in a microwave would be uneven heating. Parts of the chicken will be too dry, over cooked. If the skins left on it will be slimy. The sauce won't stick to it. Not that appealing to the eye.. Ok your in a Pub..Maybe the customers will already be a little pie eyed.. J/K!!!! :) I know the question is about reheating but is it necessary that the chicken be cooked and reheated like that at your pub?

You can cut the backs off the chicken to decrease the cooking time and still make it fresh to order. Marinated Spatchcock Grilled Chickens are very popular around here. Takes about 40 minutes to cook..I'm happy to wait the marinade they use is fantastic.

Good luck.

Munky.

Thanks for your reply.

Advantage of having frozen chickens to no wastage.

What about leaving in vacum packed bags and using a water bath... Not had any experience of cooking this way. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom