Coq au Vin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Here's one I haven't made in ages.

Coq au Vin
yields: 2 portions

2 strips bacon, cut into lardons
oil
2 pieces of chicken
½ c onions, large dice
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
2/3 c red wine
¼ c chicken stock
For the sachet:
thyme
bay leaf
garlic
beurre manie
2 t brown sugar (optional)
parsley, chopped

If at all possible, decant the wine, and allow it to open up. If this is not possible, use the brown sugar at the end of the cooking period.
Heat the oil. Brown the bacon until crisp, remove and set aside. Brown the chicken, remove, and keep warm. Lower heat to medium, add onions and mushrooms, caramelize slowly; remove onions and mushrooms, add to bacon. Drain grease.
Deglaze pan with wine and stock. Add sachet and chicken. Cover and braise 30 to 40 minutes, until chicken is tender. When chicken is done, plate and garnish with the bacon, onions, and mushrooms.
Bring the braising liquor to a boil, reduce. Reduce to a simmer, add beurre manie, then correct the seasoning. If the wine was not allowed to open up, add the brown sugar at this point to cut the bitter taste of the wine.
Drizzle the sauce over the chicken, garnish with the parsley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on making this later tonite. Is a marinade during the day a good idea? Suggestions for it?

(I hate the search feature here, that won't let you search for the words "coq" "au" and "vin")

Thanks for any ideas!

I have a friens that often visits Spain,Italy,and France. She made me a similar dish that had more bacon in it....red potatoes,chicken,italian sausage,mushrooms,onions,chicken broth but no wine. Its great.

sherifffruitfly said:
I'm planning on making this later tonite. Is a marinade during the day a good idea? Suggestions for it?

(I hate the search feature here, that won't let you search for the words "coq" "au" and "vin")

Thanks for any ideas!

I don't think a marinade would be a necessary thing. You want the flavours to remain as pure as possible, so I would just follow the recipe as stated.

The only thing I would add is that my family likes the sauce to be a bit thicker, and I usually run out of time so I use a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce rather than reducing it. This is a lovely recipe.

Hope I am not too late with my suggestions Sheriff.

Back
Top Bottom