"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cornish Game Hens in a Slow Cooker?

Has anyone tried cooking game hens in a slow cooker? Any tips? I need to free up the freezer & the oven will be tied up. Thought I'd turn it into chicken salad - so minimal seasonings preferred. (Don't care for the skin.) TIA

Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work. Like you said, keep the seasonings basic. It might be interesting to add some orange juice to the crockpot - even use that as your liquid. I put a bit of orange juice and lemon juice in my chicken salad and this would impart, IMHO, a great flavor to the little birds I can name a host of herbs that would be good but that can always be done when you make the salad - but you already know those anyway.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work. Like you said, keep the seasonings basic. It might be interesting to add some orange juice to the crockpot - even use that as your liquid. I put a bit of orange juice and lemon juice in my chicken salad and this would impart, IMHO, a great flavor to the little birds I can name a host of herbs that would be good but that can always be done when you make the salad - but you already know those anyway.
That sounds really tasty, kitchenelf. Thank you. Should I remove the skin first? Concerned the fat/skin will raise the cooking temp. Have only used boneless skinless breasts in the cooker.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I would leave the skin on for cooking purposes. Much more flavorful and tender IMHO. The herb that is coming to mind the most for me right now is tarragon - don't ask why - it just is!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I would leave the skin on for cooking purposes. Much more flavorful and tender IMHO. The herb that is coming to mind the most for me right now is tarragon - don't ask why - it just is!
Oooooh. I have tarragon vinegar. Wonder if that will work -- with a clove or two of garlic?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Has anyone tried cooking game hens in a slow cooker? Any tips? I need to free up the freezer & the oven will be tied up. Thought I'd turn it into chicken salad - so minimal seasonings preferred. (Don't care for the skin.) TIA
I couldn't do it. I just couldn't bring myself to cook game hens in a slow cooker. I have to do mine in a hot oven or covered grill (Webber covered kettle bbq) to get that deep amber and crispy skin with meat that squirts you when you bite into it. I'm sorry but stewing a game hen in a slow cooker just seems wrong to me. Again, this is my personal preferance and opinion. You are certainly welcome to cook your food any way that you desire, and in fact, just might come out with a wonderful dish.

Now that I think about it, a game hen smothered in carrots and onions, with a bit of bacon thrown in for flavor, and celery, and a couple of cubed red potatoes, all thrown into the slow cooker, without liquid (or just a touch) might jsut make a very tasty meal. I think I would also add rosemary and a bit of thyme to the mix, and maybe some black pepper. Salt is a must, but not too much. That could turn into a pretty tasty meal. Let us know how yours turns out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Personally, I like a bit of vinegar in the liquid when I cook chicken. I seriously can't think how it would hurt at all! I have some vinegar in the pressure cooker right now with the chicken

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
not much to do with the slow coker, but this reminded me of He**s Kitchen last night...
A guy made a game hen and stuffed it in a small, roasted pumpkin.
Gordon found it completely ridiculous. I thought it was cute, but too much of a pain to serve in a restaurant.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
not much to do with the slow coker, but this reminded me of He**s Kitchen last night...
A guy made a game hen and stuffed it in a small, roasted pumpkin.
Gordon found it completely ridiculous. I thought it was cute, but too much of a pain to serve in a restaurant.
What a kewl idea. Got to file that idea away

GW, I hear ya about putting them in a slow cooker, but for several reasons, I'm pressed for time & space. And, it will be a new experiment.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

You could try cooking them with orange and lemon juice, cilantro, a little garlic, onion, salt and pepper.

This is a brine I use to soak chicken breasts in before baking, it might work as the liquid in slow cooking.

Tags
None