"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cornish Hens

Ok........I've got 2 of these little buggers in the freezer. I decided to pick some up the other day thinking about my mom making them for her and dad. I haven't brought myself to make them yet......I think the size is getting to me.........looks like an oversized, plucked parrot without a head ..... no offense Bucky......no deep frying this one
Someone entice me with their recipe so I can get these out of my freezer and onto the plate.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

louie and beethoven are no longer hoosier fans...

actually, my wife and i make these fairly often. i can spice one the way i like, and dw's her way. they are obviously a smaller chicken, therefore they tend to be more moist than a big breasted roaster chicken or turkey. more skin and more dark meat in ratio to the amount white meat keeps it moist.
i like to make them fairly simply. just wash, pat dry, and sprinkle/rub on a good amount of s & p and paprika. i like to add garlic powder, onion powder, and a bit of cayenne powder to mine.
put in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 to finish.
i like to serve them with mashed taters and baby peas. good home cookin'...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

Neither am I ....I'm a transplanted Hoosier.

Wonder what that parakeets ratio would have been............

To let you all in on the joke..........I used to have this parakeet and one day I had to take my then husband to work. I'd just fixed us something to eat and when I returned home I realized I'd left the birdcage door open and couldn't find the bird. Well needless to say I hadn't put the lid back on the deep fryer and the little bugger decided its feathers needed a hot oil treatment cause I found him in on the floor covered in oil. He was fine just greasy as all get..... the vet just told me to use some Dawn detergent and give him a good washing under the faucet
Old 02-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
- poor birdie!!!! lol

The last time I did cornish hens it was awhile ago - I used a combination honey, orange juice (or concentrate) and fresh tarragon - heated in a pot until honey is melted. Let cool.

Use this mixture to coat the hen.

Then I made some wild rice and used part of this same mixture (or it couldhave just been OJ - I can't remember - but either way would work) as part of the liquid to cook the rice. I also added some slightly chopped pecans to the rice and right after it was done I added some golden sultans while it "rested".

Stuffed the birds and cooked basting occasionally with the honey/oj mixture.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Honey-Glazed Cornish Hens

INGREDIENTS:

2 Cornish game hens, (about 1 1/2 lbs each)
1 teaspoon fresh orange peel, grated
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed, undiluted
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
oil or non-stick cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
fresh orange wedges, optional
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water
PREPARATION:

Place game hens breast side down on a cutting board and cut in half along backbone. Remove skin and trim excess fat.
In a small microwave-safe dish, combine orange peel, lemon juice, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, honey, garlic, onion powder, and thyme. Bring to boiling point in microwave oven; set aside.
Lightly grease a baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
Divide chopped onion into 4 portions in baking dish; place hens bone side down on onions.
Pour orange juice mixture over hens.
Bake hens at 350° for 45 minutes, basting every 10 to 15 minutes with cooking juices. If they brown too quickly, cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
When hens are done, remove from baking dish, onions and all, to warm dinner plates.
If desired, garnish with orange slices. Skim fat off juices in baking dish. If desired, thicken pan juices with a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of cold water. Serve juices on the side. Serve with hot cooked rice and green vegetable.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Stuffed Cornish Hens

INGREDIENTS:

1 package long-grain and wild rice mix, 6 ounces
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 can (about 4 ounces) chopped mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 Cornish game hens (approximately 1 pound each)
PREPARATION:

Directions for stuffed Cornish hens
Cook rice according to package directions; cool. Add celery, chopped mushrooms, butter, and soy sauce; toss lightly to mix. Stuff hens; place in roasting pan. Roast, loosely covered at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue roasting Cornish hens for about 60 minutes, or until done. Baste Cornish hens with butter during last 30 minutes, if desired.
Stuffed Cornish hens serves 4.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

4 Cornish game hens
melted butter
***Barbecue Sauce***

1 clove minced garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
Brush each Cornish hen with butter and place on vertical roaster.

Mash garlic and salt together in a bowl. Combine with remaining ingredients. Set Cornish upright on grill over coals and cover barbecue grill. Brush with sauce every 10 minutes for about 45 minutes or until tender.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Cornish Hens with Cherry Sauce

4 Cornish game hens
6 ounces stove top cornbread stuffing mix
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 cup + 2 T. butter
3/4 cup red currant jelly
1/4 cup dried red cherries, coarse chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Thaw hens if frozen. Place a rack in a slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, combine stuffing mix with seasoning packet, water, and 1/4 cup of margarine/butter. Stuff hens and place on rack in slow cooker.

In a small saucepan, combine jelly, cherries, remaining butter/margarine, lemon juice, salt and allspice. Cook over low heat, stirring until jelly is melted. Reserve 2/3 cup sauce. Brush remaining sauce on hens in cooker.

Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. Serve whole or cut hens in half with kitchen shears. Spoon reserved sauce over hens at serving time.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

All of the above recipes are great. My favorite way to make cornish game hens is to stuff them with wild rice and mushrooms, coat them with butter, and put them on the barbecue using the indirect method where the carcoal is seperated into two beds with a drip pan in hte middle. Cover and adjust the dampers to about 3/4 of the way open and cook them to an internal temp of 155, using an instant read meat themometer. Add some sweet spuds or a green salad and you have an incredible meal.

They are sooooo juicy that way.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

I think I'll give the recipe with the wild rice a try.......I've never had wild rice, however, love fried rice, white rice, brown rice so I'm sure I'll love this. Who knows maybe I'll discover 2 things at the same time I'll absolutely love......the hens and the rice.

Thanks guys!

Tags
None