Counterfeit Duck Confit: All Of The Flavor, Without The Labor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy, I'm sure saving this too GG!!

I'm wondering how much harder it will be for me to get just duck legs, when I had to special order the whole ducks from our local grocery. I may have to break down and go somewhere like "Whole Foods", better known as "the food store for only the mega wealthy Trump types".

Duck

Oh boy, I'm sure saving this too GG!!

I'm wondering how much harder it will be for me to get just duck legs, when I had to special order the whole ducks from our local grocery. I may have to break down and go somewhere like "Whole Foods", better known as "the food store for only the mega wealthy Trump types".

When I buy duck. I go to the Chinese grocer. It's usually much cheaper and always available.

Yes I am sure that recipe will taste delicious. It is quite similar to a french recipe I have (i.e. same method of the marinade overnight etc but simmered in just a very little wine, where it renders it juices and fat). It is incredibly savoury/tasty and one of my fav recipes. The cooked duck legs can be crisped up in the oven on another occasion (i.e. works well).

Similarities are the salt, chopped garlic and torn bayleaves. Where it differs is using white wine (instead of the gin) and either fresh sage or fresh thyme (in the marinade).

I have noted the baking method (starting off in a cold oven etc) and will try it out (using the marinade of the french recipe I have) instead of the simmering method. Thanks.

Last edited:
Duck tongues? What the heck do you do with duck tongues?

Our nearest Asian market is 40 minutes away. I see a roadtrip in my near future.

A recipe from David Lebowitz for easy duck confit...
GG, Himself just played this segment for me earlier today! It sounds interesting.

...I could look into that online place...
Another online source is Maple Leaf Farms. They're "just down the road" from us, and their ducks are also available at Market Basket by me. OR you could come visit - I'll buy the duck and trimmings, you cook the duck. ;)

Go buy a whole duck and break it down, it isn't hard. Do pan seared duck breasts and then make confit out of the legs.

Duck tongues? What the heck do you do with duck tongues?

Our nearest Asian market is 40 minutes away. I see a roadtrip in my near future.

The oriental market where I trade sells all sorts of unusual critters and parts including tongues and feet. Lots of strange fish. Some I've tried and some not.

I've found Orientals in general proud of their cuisine and willing to take the time to give you their favorite recipe.

Back to duck tongue:

The Nasty Bits: Duck Tongue | Serious Eats : Recipes

I can just envision myself on Chopped, with duck tongues, Brussels sprouts, and liver. Lord, please take me now!

Go buy a whole duck and break it down, it isn't hard. Do pan seared duck breasts and then make confit out of the legs.

You're far too reasonable my friend. :rolleyes::LOL:

I can just envision myself on Chopped, with duck tongues, Brussels sprouts, and liver. Lord, please take me now!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Great link Jim!! Yummy.........

Last edited:
You're far too reasonable my friend. :rolleyes::LOL:

Just trying to talk sense into you before you over spend on duck parts...

A local grocer has duck breast for sale at like $18/pound. I can buy the whole duck for less than a pound of breasts. And I get to keep the excess skin for fat.

Just trying to talk sense into you before you over spend on duck parts...

A local grocer has duck breast for sale at like $18/pound. I can buy the whole duck for less than a pound of breasts. And I get to keep the excess skin for fat.

You're so right Frank..that whole duck I bought was $18.00.

I want to bring something to your attention though on that web site from GG.....besides duck tongues, they also have duck feet !! That's gotta be for you.. there's a whole new take on Voodoo duck stock!! ;):chef:

Back
Top Bottom