"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cover when roasting a whole chicken?

I never use a cover when roasting a whole chicken. I usually use a rack though.

1. do people actually use a cover when roasting a whole chicken in the oven? Just curious. if so - is there an advantage to putting a cover on?

Secondary questions are:

1. do you baste? and

2. Do you put any water on the bottom of the pan and keep on replenishing with water as it's cooking?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Roasting is defined as a dry heat method of cooking. Therefore, any food you intend to roast should be cooked exposed to the dry heat of the oven. No cover.

Some longer cooking items like a big turkey or beef roast may be covered part of the time to control the browning of the exterior.

Don't be confused by the term pot roast. It is misleading as it's not roasted but braised in a covered pot.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Roasting is defined as a dry heat method of cooking. Therefore, any food you intend to roast should be cooked exposed to the dry heat of the oven. No cover.

Some longer cooking items like a big turkey or beef roast may be covered part of the time to control the browning of the exterior.

Don't be confused by the term pot roast. It is misleading as it's not roasted but braised in a covered pot.
Wow maybe I think too hard sometimes. that really makes a lot of sense. : ).
what about putting a little water in the bottom of the pan and basting through out the process. Is that normal things most people do? I find with the small birds, not a lot of juices come out if I don't put a little water down on the bottom of the pan. personally, I don't normally baste a whole lot.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Half Baked

No cover-No water here.

I will also change the temp/time for different styles of roast chicken I want

High heat 375-400 will produce real crispy skin but can burn some spices.The muscles of the chicken seem to seperate but stay whole more.

Low heat 300-325 will prduce a softer skin and a diffent texture to the meat.More like a rotisserie chicken

350 if I am roasting vegetables with it.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't cover it, baste, or add water. I like to make garlic butter, then put some under the skin and rub some on the outside of the chicken. I set the oven temperature at 350F and don't open the oven door until the minimum amount of time has passed (based on the size of the chicken). Of all the ways I have tried, this is our favorite.

Barbara
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

No water, no basting for me.

For chicken, I make sure the skin is dry and coat it with oil or butter to encourage browning and crisping.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

No cover, no water, and no basting here. I just rub with a bit of oil and set on a rack or on a bed of carrots, celery, and onion.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Head Chef

Most of the time I do it this way too. do you get a lot of juices on the bottom of the pan to use for gravy afterwards? i find sometimes it's dry and not a lot of juices. I don't mean the chicken is dry.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

You're right, sometime there are no juices. Use canned or homemade chicken stock and butter.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I never use a cover when roasting a whole chicken. I usually use a rack though.

1. do people actually use a cover when roasting a whole chicken in the oven? Just curious. if so - is there an advantage to putting a cover on?

Secondary questions are:

1. do you baste? and

2. Do you put any water on the bottom of the pan and keep on replenishing with water as it's cooking?
If I am roasting a chicken as in a plain, old fashioned delicious roast bird with all the trimmings (roast taters and root veg) then I would keep the skin on so it‘s all nice and crispy, never cover just like you said and, rack it. Racking allows any nice bastings (olive oil) and chicken fat to drip down onto the taters etc, below.

However, if for example, I was doing tandoori chicken, I would have previously removed the skin and covered the bird with spices and set aside to marinate. I rarely cover a bird. And, I always baste, even for tandoori (whole) chicken.

Since living in Greece, I have used olive oil and that has been saved afterwards, but combined into any fat drained from the bird‘s roasting tin. Which I have used again and has made the roasted chicken taste even better.

I can't recall ever using water to keep the bird from drying out. Maybe cover the bird with tinfoil to prevent burning, but all my chicken roasts come out tender and its meat meltingly soft and very, very tasty.

Tags
None