"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This sounds like a take on the 40-clove roasted chicken recipe. I have a whole chicken in the fridge to roast tonight...think I'll stuff the cavity with garlic...something to leave behind for the DH to eat while I'm in CT (although, he can and does cook and will cook...might add those roasted potatoes Rock posted the link for yesterday--they look delish!).
I mentioned that earlier.............. but I think the "40 clove" is a variation off the "20 clove"................

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #32
Executive Chef

They had 2fer on chicken thighs today at my market, so I bought two 5 pound packages of them. There must be 10-12 in each package. I'll weigh out 4 pounds for this recipe.

I'll be putting it into my slow cooker tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to smell all that garlic cooking! Yum City!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Just put it on to cook!

I used baby carrots on the bottom of the crock pot, then 5 pounds of chicken thighs, topped with the 20 cloves of garlic and a layer of new red potatoes. The crock pot is stuffed all the way to the lid. I've set it on 8 hours. It's just now starting to heat up and steam the lid a bit.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
Master Chef

this from crockpot tips..........

Only fill the crockpot one half to three quarters full. The foods will not cook properly if the appliance is filled to the brim. Foods cooked on the bottom of the slow cooker cook faster and will be moister because they are immersed in the simmering liquid.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, lt. got it.

i ended up putting it on today, using 2 gigantic breasts, 5 thighs, and 6 legs, all skinned, all rubbed in grapeseed oil and hungarjan paprika , s&p., over a bed of red onions.

25 cloves of garlic were mixed in, and a few stalks of celery on top to replace the moisture lost fromskinning.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #36
Master Chef

Hell, Buckster.. I break that rule constantly.......
Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Hell, Buckster.. I break that rule constantly.......
I sure have with this load. There are about a pound of baby carrots on the bottom, (just enought to cover the entire bottom one carrot thick.Then I placed 10 chicken thighs in, evenly layered and 3 pounds of new red potatoes on top of the chicken. The potatos are actually touching the lid.

It'll be done about 6:30pm this evening and I'll test the meat for it's internal temperature.

It's been cooking now for 3 hours and smells great! Nice garlic aroma.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks LT. I've got a new crock pot, lots of fresh garlic and lots of chicken thighs.

I love to boil crushed garlic in with potatoes I'm going to mash.
Me too. I also add it to the pasta water and any veggie that I am going to boil A few cloves must go in with a New England Boiled Dinner. One can never have too much butter or garlic.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #39
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Made this today. It was a hit with the family.

I substituted boneless skinless breasts for the meat. Cut it in large chunks before seasoning. Reduced cooking time by 1/2 hour.

Quick and easy to prepare. Thanks for posting this one!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I sure have with this load. There are about a pound of baby carrots on the bottom, (just enought to cover the entire bottom one carrot thick.Then I placed 10 chicken thighs in, evenly layered and 3 pounds of new red potatoes on top of the chicken. The potatos are actually touching the lid.

It'll be done about 6:30pm this evening and I'll test the meat for it's internal temperature.

It's been cooking now for 3 hours and smells great! Nice garlic aroma.
Well, it turned out very well. The roasted garlic taste was fantastic. The baby carrots were the absolute best carrots I've ever eaten in my life. Seriously, they were better than any other part of the meal.

I'm so full I can't wiggle.

Tags
chicken, recipe

Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken [SIZE=2]Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken 3-4 pounds chicken thighs 1 large onion, sliced 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoons kosher salt 2 teaspoons paprika 1 teaspoon pepper 20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact In a 6 quart oval slow cooker, Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Transfer to slow cooker, on top of the onion. Do not add water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4. [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/GarlicChicken3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/GarlicChicken2.jpg[/IMG] [/SIZE] 5 stars 1 reviews