Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Browning the chicken beforehand might dry it out. Lt's timing, I went 4 hrs, was perfect. Not at all dry.

When it's done and removed from the crock, the juices left after skimming off the fat, has a nice rich tan color. Not too dark or light. I did place some of the garlic cloves and onions around the sides, so that the heating element would brown them.
Some had caramelized.

Must say before I forget. The left over chicken ( what their was of it ) shredded. Made a great pannini. Just used a simple olive oil, herbed base, with the garlic and onion paste added to it.
Maybe save your garlic chives for that?

Munky.

Thanks for the report, Munky! This is one I'm going to try for sure! And congrats on your 1,000th post!

Last edited:
thanks very much for the advice, munky. :chef:

i didn't get to make this today. just couldn't stay awake when i got home. but i will follow lt's recipe exactly when i make it tomorrow.

Does anyone think this would work with breasts instead of thighs? I will do it with thighs, but DD and her DH will only eat white meat and I think they would enjoy this.

I did a recipe in my cast iron dutch oven in the oven, that had tons of whole cloves of garlic and some fresh herbs, drizzled with olive oil, and cooked until very tender. This looks like a great adaptation of a recipe like that, I'll have to try it in the crock pot. The oil that was left in that pan after the chicken and garlic cooked was amazing, great for dipping bread in!

The garlic got so toasty and mellow!

Last edited:
Does anyone think this would work with breasts instead of thighs? I will do it with thighs, but DD and her DH will only eat white meat and I think they would enjoy this.

i'm planning on using 2 large breasts, 4 thighs, and 4 legs.

buckytom said:
i'm planning on using 2 large breasts, 4 thighs, and 4 legs.

Please let us know how it turns out. DD won't make it real soon as baby probably wouldn't like all that garlic, but I plan to make it, when I return home next weekend.

This sounds like a take on the 40-clove roasted chicken recipe. I have a whole chicken in the fridge to roast tonight...think I'll stuff the cavity with garlic...something to leave behind for the DH to eat while I'm in CT (although, he can and does cook and will cook...might add those roasted potatoes Rock posted the link for yesterday--they look delish!).

This sounds like a take on the 40-clove roasted chicken recipe. I have a whole chicken in the fridge to roast tonight...think I'll stuff the cavity with garlic...something to leave behind for the DH to eat while I'm in CT (although, he can and does cook and will cook...might add those roasted potatoes Rock posted the link for yesterday--they look delish!).

I mentioned that earlier.............. but I think the "40 clove" is a variation off the "20 clove"................

They had 2fer on chicken thighs today at my market, so I bought two 5 pound packages of them. There must be 10-12 in each package. I'll weigh out 4 pounds for this recipe.

I'll be putting it into my slow cooker tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to smell all that garlic cooking! Yum City!!!!:chef::pig::chef::pig:

Just put it on to cook!

I used baby carrots on the bottom of the crock pot, then 5 pounds of chicken thighs, topped with the 20 cloves of garlic and a layer of new red potatoes. The crock pot is stuffed all the way to the lid. I've set it on 8 hours. It's just now starting to heat up and steam the lid a bit.

this from crockpot tips..........

Only fill the crockpot one half to three quarters full. The foods will not cook properly if the appliance is filled to the brim. Foods cooked on the bottom of the slow cooker cook faster and will be moister because they are immersed in the simmering liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, lt. got it.

i ended up putting it on today, using 2 gigantic breasts, 5 thighs, and 6 legs, all skinned, all rubbed in grapeseed oil and hungarjan paprika , s&p., over a bed of red onions.

25 cloves of garlic were mixed in, and a few stalks of celery on top to replace the moisture lost fromskinning.

Hell, Buckster.. I break that rule constantly.......

I sure have with this load. There are about a pound of baby carrots on the bottom, (just enought to cover the entire bottom one carrot thick.Then I placed 10 chicken thighs in, evenly layered and 3 pounds of new red potatoes on top of the chicken. The potatos are actually touching the lid.

It'll be done about 6:30pm this evening and I'll test the meat for it's internal temperature.

It's been cooking now for 3 hours and smells great! Nice garlic aroma.

Thanks LT. I've got a new crock pot, lots of fresh garlic and lots of chicken thighs.

I love to boil crushed garlic in with potatoes I'm going to mash.

Me too. I also add it to the pasta water and any veggie that I am going to boil A few cloves must go in with a New England Boiled Dinner. One can never have too much butter or garlic. :chef:

Made this today. It was a hit with the family.

I substituted boneless skinless breasts for the meat. Cut it in large chunks before seasoning. Reduced cooking time by 1/2 hour.

Quick and easy to prepare. Thanks for posting this one!

I sure have with this load. There are about a pound of baby carrots on the bottom, (just enought to cover the entire bottom one carrot thick.Then I placed 10 chicken thighs in, evenly layered and 3 pounds of new red potatoes on top of the chicken. The potatos are actually touching the lid.

It'll be done about 6:30pm this evening and I'll test the meat for it's internal temperature.

It's been cooking now for 3 hours and smells great! Nice garlic aroma.

Well, it turned out very well. The roasted garlic taste was fantastic. The baby carrots were the absolute best carrots I've ever eaten in my life. Seriously, they were better than any other part of the meal.

I'm so full I can't wiggle.

Back
Top Bottom