Crock-Pot Chicken Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I wanted to use up some things from the pantry and freezer and came up with this for dinner today. I served it over stuffing.

Crock-Pot Chicken Stew

2 bone-in chicken breasts

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can chicken broth

1 bag baby carrots

4 ribs of celery cut into 1/2" pieces

Black pepper

1 tsp poulry seasoning

3 Tbsp flour

water.

Mix the soup, broth, pepper, and seasoning in a crock-pot.

Add the carrots, celery, then the chicken breasts on top, bone-side up.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours then turn up to high for 1 hour.

Mix the flour and water to create a slurry. Remove the chicken from the crock-pot, mix in the slurry, recover, and cook until the liquid thickens to a gravy.

Let the chicken cool, remove the meat from the bone,
chunk the meat, and add back to the thickened sauce.

Stir, and serve over either stuffing, rice, or mashed potatoes.

I just have to say that a crockpot ruins chicken breasts. Theyll be extraordinarily dry and overcooked, but the sauce might mask it.

Chicken breasts cook very quickly and every second they overcook in a crockpot ( or other method) degrades them more and more.

Maybe better with thighs which stand up to long cooking much better.

They actually we not as dry as some other recipes I have tried. I had some while I was chunking it up to put back in. HAD to check the seasoning...:rolleyes:

That sounds delicious and I love that you serve it over stuffing. Yum.

I've not had issues with dry chix in the CP.

When I use the boneless/skinless breasts in recipes they do seem to be dry more often than not. This time I used bone-in/skin on breasts because that is what I had in the freezer.

This might be tomorrow nights dinner.

Depends how much time I have in the A.M. to put it together before I go to work.

Looks good.

Think I'll add some taters.

Thanks for sharing.

This was tonight's dinner.

Very good.

I added Taters because I wanted a one pot meal and didn't want to make stuffing etc.

The starch in the taters thickened it so I didn't need to add as much flour/water mix.

For an easy meal that doesn't require attention and can be easily prepped it's a winner.

Thanks Zagut - I'm glad you like it. I'll have to try it with taters next time I make it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom