Cuban Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good reason to get the free Our Groceries app. You can create shopping lists for different stores. I have one for the Mexican store, the thrift store, etc.

We have it. I downloaded the app the very first time I read about here. I think it was Steve who provided the info.
Has anyone tried the pay version? I wonder if its better and how?

And of course salted tostones for a snack.

Love them. Love them!

Yes, I make them for breakfast to go along with a roll and coffee. In Cuba the best maduros came from red skinned plaintains that I haven't seen in the U.S. The ones we get here aren't as sweet.

As a kid, my breakfast was a slice of Cuban bread with butter and a cup of Cuban coffee with milk and sugar.
My wife loves Cuban coffee and we have a few of those stove top Cuban coffee makers.

We have it. I downloaded the app the very first time I read about here. I think it was Steve who provided the info.

Love them. Love them!

As a kid, my breakfast was a slice of Cuban bread with butter and a cup of Cuban coffee with milk and sugar.
My wife loves Cuban coffee and we have a few of those stove top Cuban coffee makers.

In Cuba we often ate fried bananas with rice and a roll for breakfast. Sometimes we had other fruits - mamey, mamoncillo etc. Even as child they gave me cafe con leche (latte.) Everybody drank Cuban coffee. It was as universal as the guayabera and Panama hat.

Last edited:

taxlady has the paid version. It gets rid of the ads, you can add things by using taking a picture of the bar code, and you can add pictures of items. Not sure if there's anything else.

When you mention Cuban coffee do you mean Colada? I can only handle a few of those tiny little cups of it. If I drink more, I'll be awake for days!:ROFLMAO:

I've never heard the word colada applied to coffee but Cuban coffee is pretty much the same thing as Italian espresso and it is prepared the same way.

I've never heard the word colada applied to coffee but Cuban coffee is pretty much the same thing as Italian espresso and it is prepared the same way.

That is how I order it, as colada. It comes in a styro cup, about 8oz and they give you these tiny paper cups, about 1oz. It is heavily sugared and packs a caffeine punch.:wacko:

That is how I order it, as colada. It comes in a styro cup, about 8oz and they give you these tiny paper cups, about 1oz. It is heavily sugared and packs a caffeine punch.:wacko:

That's Cuban coffee. Colada usually refers to doing laundry. I'm not sure why one would use it to describe a serving of coffee. But then they refer to pineapple that way with the well known Puerto Rican cocktail. But you learn something every day.

taxlady has the paid version. It gets rid of the ads, you can add things by using taking a picture of the bar code, and you can add pictures of items. Not sure if there's anything else.

Thanks GG. Sounds like the free version is good enough for us.

When you mention Cuban coffee do you mean Colada? I can only handle a few of those tiny little cups of it. If I drink more, I'll be awake for days!:ROFLMAO:

I never heard that term before. But I have had the espresso many, many times. I think the sugar plays a big part in the speed like effects.
What we had at breakfast as kids was the espresso, mixed with heated milk and sugar. Coffe-Con- Leche. Mostly hot milk. Please excuse my spelling.

That's Cuban coffee. Colada usually refers to doing laundry. I'm not sure why one would use it to describe a serving of coffee. But then they refer to pineapple that way with the well known Puerto Rican cocktail. But you learn something every day.

I never heard of it either. But I don't speak Spanish either.
I wish my parents taught Spanish in the home and let us learn English at school.

My understanding is that the "colada" refers to the coconut in the drink. "Piña" is the pineapple.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't comment on that, but I love a frozen piña colada on a hot summer day.

Colada might be a South Florida thing. It refers to coffee for a group. As Craig wrote, you get a big styro cup and several little "pill" cups. Super sweet. Google "cuban coffee colada" if you are interested in reading more.

I made the mistake of using it to make Irish/Cuban coffee once, had three 8-ounce cups (half coffee, half whisky, whipped cream, couple spoonfuls of sugar). Got about 3 hours sleep in 2 days when I finally started to come down.

The term has absolutely nothing to do with the drink pina colada.

My understanding is that the "colada" refers to the coconut in the drink. "Piña" is the pineapple.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't comment on that, but I love a frozen piña colada on a hot summer day.

Coconut is coco in spanish. Since it doesn't refer to laundry my wild guess is that it is the past tense adjective of cola or tail. You could translate it loosely as pineapple with a tail, the tail being the rum.

Colada might be a South Florida thing. It refers to coffee for a group. As Craig wrote, you get a big styro cup and several little "pill" cups. Super sweet. Google "cuban coffee colada" if you are interested in reading more.

I made the mistake of using it to make Irish/Cuban coffee once, had three 8-ounce cups (half coffee, half whisky, whipped cream, couple spoonfuls of sugar). Got about 3 hours sleep in 2 days when I finally started to come down.

The term has absolutely nothing to do with the drink pina colada.

I think it probably is a Florida thing and I've never lived there. I never heard the term in Cuba. I did look it up and it was described as a "shot" of coffee. I can't guess the source of the etymology. If it means coffee with a tail then it might well be about the same thing as pina colada. I brew some stuff called cafe Bustelo that I buy from the cuban market web site. I brew it with a small electric steam espresso machine and it certainly does pack a punch.

I think it probably is a Florida thing and I've never lived there. I never heard the term in Cuba. I did look it up and it was described as a "shot" of coffee. I can't guess the source of the etymology. If it means coffee with a tail then it might well be about the same thing as pina colada. I brew some stuff called cafe Bustelo that I buy from the cuban market web site. I brew it with a small electric steam espresso machine and it certainly does pack a punch.

Again, IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with pina colada. It is Cuban coffee served in a large styro cup, with a bunch of little "pill" cups for individual servings. I have my doubts about you looking it up since you keep comparing it to pina colada. Cuban coffee 101 | miami.com , 1 of many. Colada itself has no liquor in it and has absolutely nothing to do with a pina colada. It is an espresso grind dark black/brown coffee with lots and lots of sugar added after brewing. It is served in Little Havana and Cuban places to eat all day long. You use it to make cafe con leche, which is how I was first exposed to it with cuban bread for breakfast and/or churros for dessert.

We do live in South Florida in case you didn't notice, Craig all but a few years of his whole life and I have lived here 40+ years and was married to a Cuban man for several years. We have both worked and lived with Cubans and been greatly exposed to the culture. We are quite aware of the difference between colada and pina colada and they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common.

Again, IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with pina colada. It is Cuban coffee served in a large styro cup, with a bunch of little "pill" cups for individual servings. I have my doubts about you looking it up since you keep comparing it to pina colada. Cuban coffee 101 | miami.com , 1 of many. Colada itself has no liquor in it and has absolutely nothing to do with a pina colada. It is an espresso grind dark black/brown coffee with lots and lots of sugar added after brewing. It is served in Little Havana and Cuban places to eat all day long. You use it to make cafe con leche, which is how I was first exposed to it with cuban bread for breakfast and/or churros for dessert.

We do live in South Florida in case you didn't notice, Craig all but a few years of his whole life and I have lived here 40+ years and was married to a Cuban man for several years. We have both worked and lived with Cubans and been greatly exposed to the culture. We are quite aware of the difference between colada and pina colada and they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common.

I don't think anybody ever said that they did. It certainly isn't worth getting excited over. It wouldn't be the first time that a word was coined or borrowed for a cocktail that had little or nothing to do with any dictionary meanings.

According to Merriam-Webster, in Spanish pina colada means literally, "strained pineapple" (the term dates from about 1920). If colada does mean "strained" then maybe it has something do with how the coffee is brewed? (as I said above, I don't do coffee of any kind, so I'm just throwing that up for discussion)

Addition: I just plugged "colada" in to a Spanish translator and it came up as "wash" in English.

I don't think anybody ever said that they did. It certainly isn't worth getting excited over. It wouldn't be the first time that a word was coined or borrowed for a cocktail that had little or nothing to do with any dictionary meanings.

According to Merriam-Webster, in Spanish pina colada means literally, "strained pineapple" (the term dates from about 1920). If colada does mean "strained" then maybe it has something do with how the coffee is brewed? (as I said above, I don't do coffee of any kind, so I'm just throwing that up for discussion)

Addition: I just plugged "colada" in to a Spanish translator and it came up as "wash" in English.

RP, I wasn't addressing my post to you. It was addressed to the FMW post directly above where this was written.

If it means coffee with a tail then it might well be about the same thing as pina colada.

I wrote in an earlier post that colada has absolutely nothing to do with pina colada (and provided documentation) and I'm not sure why FMW continues to write that it may.

You are more than likely right about it having to do with the brewing method. Before all the fancy machines came out it was brewed in something like this, obviously not an electric one but it's got the best blow-out diagram. 6-Cup Electric Cuban Coffee Maker with Free Cafe La Llave 10 Oz Pack | Coffee Consumers

RP, I wasn't addressing my post to you. It was addressed to the FMW post directly above where this was written.

For some reason I haven't been able to edit posts for the last several days, even immediately after making them. So, wanted to add to above: Sorry if you thought it was. :rolleyes:

I wrote in an earlier post that colada has absolutely nothing to do with pina colada (and provided documentation) and I'm not sure why FMW continues to write that it may.

You are more than likely right about it having to do with the brewing method. Before all the fancy machines came out it was brewed in something like this, obviously not an electric one but it's got the best blow-out diagram. 6-Cup Electric Cuban Coffee Maker with Free Cafe La Llave 10 Oz Pack | Coffee Consumers

I didn't say it had anything to do with pina colada. I was referring to the term colada which doesn't fit with either product. Colada as a noun refers to doing laundry. It is the spanish word for laundry (Not the business but the task). The word cola as a noun is a tail in Spanish. Colada would be the past tense adjective translated as "tailed" or having a tail. I was simply trying add to the conversation. Sorry to have confused you.

I have two of those stovetop makers. I prefer the electric espresso maker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom